What is DisableUAC.exe doing?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

What is DisableUAC.exe doing?

Vladimir Nikolov

Hi,
What is DisableUAC.exe doing to the MSI?
Regards
Vlad
Posted 28 Jul, 2009 12:33:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Vlad,

Terribly sorry for the delay; it appeared that I've missed at least several forum posts.

"DisableUAC.exe /On" removes the "Everyone"/"Just for me" controls when you are on the Select Installation Folder page. Removing DisableUAC.exe from the PostBuildEvent property of your setup project (and re-building it) shows the controls.

"DisableUAC.exe /Off" removes the "Everyone"/"Just for me" controls AND also prevents the UAC Allow/Cancel prompt from being shown for the user that runs the .MSI (not setup.exe) on Vista, Windows 2008 Server and Windows 7.

The consequences are as follows:
- if a standard user runs an .MSI processed with "DisableUAC.exe /On" (or without DisableUAC), after filling in all the user interface dialogs and clicking Next, UAC prompts the user for an administrator login/password. If the user enters these, the installation process starts for the administrator user, not for the user running the .MSI.
- if an admin runs an .MSI processed with "DisableUAC.exe /On" (or without DisableUAC), after filling in all the user interface dialogs and clicking Next, UAC shows the Cancel/Allow prompt. If the user clicks Allow, the installation continues for the administrator user.
- if any user runs an .MSI processed with "DisableUAC.exe /Off", the UAC doesn't show any prompts. Because an administrator on UAC-systems normally works with standard user permissions (and gets administrator permissions after the prompt), the installation process continues for the current user (as a standard user). If the user has no access rights to some resource, an error message is shown.

Conclusion: "DisableUAC.exe /Off" is designed for installing add-ins by standard users, without administrator help.

I've described this and understood that the name of the executable confuses you. We will consider renaming it.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 31 Jul, 2009 12:34:49 Top