Word 2003 addin not starting

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Word 2003 addin not starting

indalgds indalgds

I've developed an addin for Word (2003) with Visual Studio 2005 on WinXP but the addin does not show up in Word.

If I invoke "Register ADX Project" in the IDE, a message box says that registration was successful but if I start Word 2003, the addon is not visible in the "COM-Addins" dialog nor is it's toolbar selectable. Looking directly to the windows registry I can see the addin entry in the Software/Microsoft/Office/Word/Addins tree.

The manifest of the adxloader contains the generateLogFile="true" settings but no logfile is written unter the "My Documents" directory.

To allow debugging, the project is configured to start word for debug-launch. Word is started, but the addin is not visible.

Any ideas?
Posted 27 Jul, 2009 09:07:29 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

Please see http://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-commandbar-tips.php#dont-show.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 27 Jul, 2009 09:20:30 Top
indalgds indalgds

I've allready read that article befor posting but it doesn't helped me.

As written above, the addin is registred. There was a corresponding messagebox and I can see it in the registry. There is not logfile written that I can use to find the error.

I've tried to install the addin on the developer computer using a setup created with Visual Studio. Once installed that way, the addon in visible and works until Word is only started thru the start menu. During that install a logfile is created but it does not contain any error messages.

But, if I start Word from Visual Studio, the addon is again invisible (without been uninstalled). If Word is started from the ide once, the addin remains invisible even if Word is started from the start menu later.
Posted 27 Jul, 2009 09:37:30 Top
indalgds indalgds

Btw., about one year ago it all works on the same computer using exactly the same version of Addin-Express and Visual Studio and the same local/domain user. The only difference can be that an office service pack might be installed since then.
Posted 27 Jul, 2009 09:40:46 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello (BTW, what's your name?)

There is not logfile written that I can use to find the error.

Are you saying that there's no adxloader.log in [My ]Documents\Add-in Express after you install your add-in (before you run Word)?

But, if I start Word from Visual Studio, the addon is again invisible (without been uninstalled). If Word is started from the ide once, the addin remains invisible even if Word is started from the start menu later.

Check its LoadBehavior in the registry in this case. If it's 2, then you probably get an exception at add-in start-up.

The only difference can be that an office service pack might be installed since then.

Have your add-in been changed since then?

What values do you have in the following properties:
- add-in module. RegisterForAllUsers = ?
- setup project. View | File System | Application Folder. DefaultLocation = ?
- setup project. PostBuildEvent = ?

Is normal.dot read-only for that user?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 27 Jul, 2009 15:44:46 Top
indalgds indalgds

Hello,

the problem has been solved. For some reason (that I don't know) the addin has been deaktivated by Word. After reactivating it in the corresponding Word dialog, the addin is visible and working again (including debugging if started from Visual Studio).

Thanks for your fast help.

Regards,
Holger
Posted 28 Jul, 2009 05:08:32 Top