Add-In Express and Outlook Custom Forms

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-In Express and Outlook Custom Forms

Patrick Jox

Hello,
yesterday I delivered my first Add-In Express based application and I want to tell you, it was amazing. Development was quick and easy. I do not have to spend hours and days with IDTExtensibilty, office versions...
Add-In Express is a great and very productive tool.

Now I am wondering if it makes sense to tranport another project from true Outlook Forms application to an Add-In Express based application since with this tool many enhancements will be easy to implement. At the moment all logic (programming code) resides within two outlook forms. Is there a possiblity to put this code anywhere within Add-In Express and listen to the forms events (i.e. Item.Save or cmdButton.Click ...). Or should I instance the business logik and use it from within the origin forms event procedures?

It would be kind if somebody could point me out the best way.

Kind regards
Patrick
Posted 19 May, 2009 12:21:29 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Patrick.

Thank you for the warm words. At the moment Add-in Express doesn't support native Outlook Forms. So I would advise you to leave the project as is.
Posted 19 May, 2009 13:00:01 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Hello Patrick,

If you want to have the whole code in one place (say in AddinModule), then you can use the ADXOlForm.AddinModule property for calling methods.

Also you can use the static property AddinModule.CurrentInstance.
Posted 19 May, 2009 13:04:22 Top
Patrick Jox

Sorry I do not understand what you mean. But yes i want to have the whole code in one single place. So to handle a certain buttons click event I must add some code in the native form and call the according method. Or did I miss understand?

Regards
Patrick
Posted 19 May, 2009 13:37:24 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Yes, you can add some code in the native form and call the according method.
Posted 19 May, 2009 14:57:38 Top
Patrick Jox

So I lhave do make this using the CreateObject() method.

What Do you think about displaying a .NET WinForms Form? Which event would you recommend adxOutlookEvents.ItemLoad oder adxOutlookEvents.NewInspector.

Or would it be best to declare a new adxOlForm which is displayed in the Inspector of defined Messageclass. This could be a simple custom form with no controls but message?

Regards
Patrick
Posted 20 May, 2009 09:10:17 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

So I lhave do make this using the CreateObject() method.

You needn't do this. AddinModule will be created before you start using it.

What Do you think about displaying a .NET WinForms Form? Which event would you recommend adxOutlookEvents.ItemLoad oder adxOutlookEvents.NewInspector.

Please see the descriptions of these events in the Outlook References Help to choose the appropriate one.
I think you need NewInspector.

Or would it be best to declare a new adxOlForm which is displayed in the Inspector of defined Messageclass. This could be a simple custom form with no controls but message?

I think it is a good alternative.

Posted 20 May, 2009 10:05:15 Top