Word and Outlook issues

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Word and Outlook issues

Chris Harris

Hi,

We've developed a set of addins for Office using Add-in Express 2008 for .net Premium, version 4.4.1913.

For Word, the addin contains a Word context menu (with temporary = true) and some Ribbontab components.

A customer has called in saying that he is prompted to save Normal.dot whenever word starts. He confirms that normal.dot is not read-only but he has the 'Prompt before saving normal template' option checked. He is not willing to uncheck this.

Is there a quick workaround to prevent Word prompting him?

I guess the longer term workaround would be to save the changes in another .dot file whenever the addin starts? Do you guys have any C# examples of doing that or can you tell me how to prevent changes to normal.dot in the first place?

The other issue is that some customers have reported that Outlook 2007 locks up when synching, but when the Addin is removed, all is well. Any ideas here too?

Thanks

Chris

Posted 29 Apr, 2009 10:05:45 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Chris,

how to prevent changes to normal.dot

Word saves custom controls to normal.dot. It saves even temporary controls when they are added to built-in command bars. Because context menus are built-in command bars, there's no way to prevent changes to normal.dot. You can minimise these changes by using Temporary = False for your controls in the context menu. In this case, the prompt should occur only once, at the first start of the add-in.

See also http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=5215.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 29 Apr, 2009 14:14:08 Top
Chris Harris

Thanks Andrei,

Slightly confused - I thought you guys always recommended setting Temporary = true?

But if I did set Temporary = true, isn't there a danger that if the Add-in shuts down unexpectedly, then the controls will still be left in normal.dot? If that's true then what's the best way of dealing with that problem?

It also sounds like the Ribbontab components don't affect normal.dot. Is this true?

Any thoughts on diagnosing the 'Outlook hanging' issue?

Regards,

Chris
Posted 29 Apr, 2009 15:21:18 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Chris,

Slightly confused - I thought you guys always recommended setting Temporary = true?

What we always recommend is to use temporary command bars in Outlook and non-temporary command bars in Word.

But if I did set Temporary = true, isn't there a danger that if the Add-in shuts down unexpectedly, then the controls will still be left in normal.dot? If that's true then what's the best way of dealing with that problem?

I assume "Temporary = False" is what you mean. In this case, your control will be saved to normal.dot only once. When the add-in is uninstalled, the corresponding custom action will launch Word and remove that control from normal.dot of the current user (that's why we recommend installing Word add-ins for the current user only).

It also sounds like the Ribbontab components don't affect normal.dot. Is this true?

Yes.

Any thoughts on diagnosing the 'Outlook hanging' issue?

Some guesses only. Do you handle the ItemAdd or ItemRemove event? What features of the Outlook object model (or maybe Extended MAPI) do you use? Do you release COM objects in your code?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 29 Apr, 2009 16:09:17 Top
Chris Harris

Thanks Andrei,

I'll try your suggestions and report back!

All the best,

Chris
Posted 30 Apr, 2009 05:34:19 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Chris,

On the "Outlook hanging" issue. There are also NewMail and NewMailEx events. In other words, I'd check all events triggered when a new event arrives and the current folder is Inbox.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 30 Apr, 2009 06:01:16 Top