Weird Issue with Vista and Outlook Add In

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Kevin Moore

Hi,

I am having a weird permissions issue with an Outlook Add In under Vista.

My application consists of the following:

- a stand alone EXE
- a plug in for Outlook
- a DLL that both the plug-in and exe use for db access
- SQL Server CE databases
- Default SQL Server CE files are copied to the CommonAppData folder, which under Vista is the c:\ProgramData folder.

First of all UAC is enabled under Vista. When the application is installed, the UAC popup comes up and I enter the Admin password to install the application. So far so good.

The first thing that both the Plugin and Exe do is load a class file from the DLL that reads one of the SQL Server files in the C:\ProgramData folder.

When I run the application using the EXE everything is fine, no errors. When I run the PlugIn in Outlook, I get an Access Denied message referring to the c:\ProgramData\...\SQL Server file. This is the problem.

If I enable write permission to the folder, the message goes away. I've tried changing my setup/msi file to set the permission but I was unsuccessful getting this to happen.

I'd like to make this go away but I am unsure how to fix it.

Can you help?

Kevin

Posted 09 Feb, 2009 13:58:37 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Kevin,

I'd recommend changing the directory.
Posted 10 Feb, 2009 08:29:24 Top
Kevin Moore

Hi Eugene,

After doing some more research it appears more complicated, ofcourse, than I orginally thought.

I changed the opening of the sdf to be Read Only and it works fine in XP. When I deploy to Vista though the problem seems to be that the permissions going from Outlook->Add In Express->my DLL aren't maintained. I've tried creating a manifest file for my DLL but that doesn't seem to have an affect.

I'll keep searching but I was wondering if you had any other ideas?

Do you know of any permission issues around have the Add In plug-in call a DLL under Outlook for Vista?

Thanks,

Kevin
Posted 10 Feb, 2009 15:10:14 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Kevin,

Do you know of any permission issues around have the Add In plug-in call a DLL under Outlook for Vista?

No, I don't know.
Posted 11 Feb, 2009 06:10:51 Top