"Would you like to save prompt" on opening an Outlook Message

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

"Would you like to save prompt" on opening an Outlook Message

Nathan Pledger

Hi,

I have some code on the NewInspector event that follows:

global::Outlook.Inspector adxInspector = inspector as global::Outlook.Inspector;
this.adxOlInspectorCommandBar.Position = AddinExpress.MSO.ADXMsoBarPosition.adxMsoBarTop;
object o = adxInspector.CurrentItem;

(There is more code but I have tested commenting it out and I still have the same effect.)

When I close the message, I get the save prompt "Do you want to save changed to this message?". Which is odd, because I haven't changed it! It tends to happen to messages with attachments.

Is MailItem honouring Quantum Physics and changing its state just by my having looked at it? I wondered if casting an item out to a _MailItem could have done this, but again, skipping that code didn't really help.

Any ideas?

Posted 21 Jan, 2009 09:42:12 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hello Nathan,

What Office version and OS do you use? Are they up to date? Please tell me the SP numbers.
Posted 21 Jan, 2009 10:04:33 Top
Nathan Pledger

Hi Eugene,

Sorry for the duplication, but the original message (nor my duplicated message) are not coming up in my Forums List.

Thanks for the reply, I am using:

* Outlook 2003 11.8217.8221) SP3 on Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 (which is exhibiting the problem)
* Outlook 2007 12.0.6316.5000 SP1 MSP 12.0.6320.5000 on Windows Vista Business SP1 (which seems to be fine, but has another issue I'll file separately - I'll assume the post is posted and won't duplicate!)

Posted 21 Jan, 2009 10:49:30 Top
Nathan Pledger

Test to see if this forum is working.
Posted 21 Jan, 2009 11:13:51 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Nathan,

Do you release COM objects? Please have a look at the following http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2008/10/30/releasing-office-objects-net/ on our technical blog.

BTW You can use the F5 button on your keyboard to refresh a page.
Posted 21 Jan, 2009 12:23:20 Top
Nathan Pledger

Hi Eugene,

If I step OVER/comment-out my NewInspector event code, ie. not running any code that may invoke any RCWs, etc. the problem still manifests itself.

The prompt displays BEFORE the InspectorClose event and occurs regardless of Sending items, so ItemSend is n/a.

And the refresh thing, I was trying that for about 10 mins. :)

Posted 21 Jan, 2009 12:52:06 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Nathan,

Could you send a sample add-in project which can reproduce the issue to the support e-mail address (see readme.txt)?
Posted 22 Jan, 2009 05:18:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Nathan,

Neither Add-in Express nor your add-in causes this.

On Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 SP3 I reproduce the issue with the add-in turned OFF (!) on e-mails having attachments if I set the following flag:

Tools | Options | Mail Format | Use Word to Edit E-mail Messages

I assume that this is by design.

If I clear the flag above and restart Outlook (your add-in is still off), I reproduce the same issue on an e-mail in the HTML format having an .xls file attached. Another e-mail in the HTML format having the same attachment doesn't produce the issue. Moreover, as soon as I close the second e-mail, the issue can't be reproduced for the first one.

If I restart Outlook and open the second e-mail first, things go other way: now the second e-mail produces the question, while the first one stops the issue.

If I turn you add-in on, when the issue is gone, your add-in doesn't revive it.

It's quantum physics, indeed.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 23 Jan, 2009 10:44:45 Top
Nathan Pledger

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for your time on this.

Interestingly, "Use Word to Edit Email Messages" is the first thing we turn off, and we are using HTML format messages.

Not sure where this leaves us, but thanks for your efforts on this anyway, you have offered a most excellent support service.

Posted 23 Jan, 2009 11:33:43 Top