Add-in not being a "vaild Office Add-in"

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in not being a "vaild Office Add-in"
Can't not get an Add-In Express project to register with outlook 
Michael

I have been using the 2.1 version of Add-in express, and was working well. Saw you released version 2.2 this weekend, and am trying to use it.
However I can not get it to produce an Add-in which can be registered with Outlook. I just recieve the followin error when I manually try to add it (as it doesn't automatically work)

<Add-in.dll> is not a vaild Office Add-in.

I thought it could be related to something I had put in the add-in so I have just made a completly clean add-in. Just used your wizard, compiled the code it makes, and tried registering it. It still gives the same error...?

I'm trying to use it on Outlook 2003...

Any ideas what's wrong??? As this has nothing to do with any code I'm writing... its either something the wizard produces that isn't working, or I'm not doing something correctly??

Any help will be great!!

Michael
Posted 14 Jun, 2005 03:38:22 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Michael.

The fact is that the latest ADX build contains many changes.
1. Did you read the whatsnew.txt from the ADX installation package?
2. Did you register the add-in via "Register ADX Project / Unregister ADX Project" options in the context menu of the Visual Studio project?
Posted 14 Jun, 2005 06:16:16 Top
Michael

I did read the whatnew.txt, and because thought it could be something in my code made an empty addin using the wizard to produce the code. I clicked register ADX add-in.

Then ran outlook. Nothing appeared in the box showing Add-Ins that are installed.

Just incase it wouldn't appear in that box. Added a commandbar with button to the project. Compiled it. Registered it (not sure if have to register it every time I change it or not??) Ran outlook, and again nothing in the add-ins box, and no command bar???

Any idea what I'm not doing right?

Michael
Posted 14 Jun, 2005 07:02:15 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Michael, please look at the folowing key in the system registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\AddIns
Do you see your add-in registered in this key?
Posted 14 Jun, 2005 07:27:05 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Michael, could you please open the Task Manager. Probably Outlook is already running in the background and this can be a cause of the issue.
Posted 14 Jun, 2005 08:18:46 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

I just recieve the followin error when I manually try to add it (as it doesn't automatically work)

<Add-in.dll> is not a valid Office Add-in.

The fact is that the managed add-ins can't be loaded via the COM Add-ins dialog. You can read about this issue here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316723
Posted 14 Jun, 2005 08:51:42 Top
Michael

I have checked that registry key, and its not in there. I have checked the task manager and have made sure both Outlook.exe, and winword.exe werent running (as I use word as my email editor).

With both these closed I tried again. Built the project, then clicked register. Again got the message saying registered successfully, but again. Doesn't run in Outlook, and isn't in the registry location??

Michael
Posted 14 Jun, 2005 08:52:06 Top

The fact is that the managed add-ins can't be loaded via the COM Add-ins dialog.

Didn't know this, but still should have automatically registered??

Michael
Posted 14 Jun, 2005 08:54:22 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Did you set the SupportedApp property of the AddinModule to "Outlook"?
Posted 14 Jun, 2005 08:56:20 Top
Michael

Did you set the SupportedApp property of the AddinModule to "Outlook"?

Umm... ok feeling quite foolish now. :oops:

Having set this to outlook works brilliantly!

Cheers for the help (I was sure I'd set it, but must have been before on a different version of the Add-in. Not once I'd made changes for version 2.2.)

Again thanks for the help. Great product :)

Michael
Posted 14 Jun, 2005 09:30:10 Top