Having trouble getting the source element in IE

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Having trouble getting the source element in IE

Chris LoVerme

Hi,

I'm having trouble locating the source element from the webpage that I'm trying to interact with. What i'm trying to do is paste text from the clipboard into *any* text box on a webpage from a custom context menu. The example code below only works on pages where elements have been identified as input and text fields. I've noticed some webpages don't always explicitly call them out. My research has turned up a way to grab the source element with a "srcElement" or "GetElementFromPoint" but I don't know enough about C# to use them correctly witht he add-in. Any help would be appreciated. Also, is there another way to force the "paste" command to fire?

mshtml.IHTMLElementCollection elementCollection = HTMLDocument.getElementsByTagName("input"); 
for (int i = 0; i > elementCollection.length; i++) 
{ 
    mshtml.IHTMLInputElement inputElement = elementCollection.item(i, i) as mshtml.IHTMLInputElement; 
    if (inputElement!=null && inputElement.type == "text") 
    { 
        if ((bool)inputElement.status == true) 
        { 
             inputElement.value = "test"; 
        } 
        else 
        { 
             inputElement.value = "test..."; 
        } 
        Marshal.ReleaseComObject(inputElement); 
     } 
} 
if (elementCollection != null) Marshal.ReleaseComObject(elementCollection);

Posted 27 Nov, 2008 17:20:31 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hello Chris,

My research has turned up a way to grab the source element with a "srcElement" or "GetElementFromPoint" but I don't know enough about C# to use them correctly witht he add-in.

Where did you find the GetElementFromPoint function?
Posted 28 Nov, 2008 05:07:31 Top
Chris LoVerme

Hi Eugene,

I located it on MSDN at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.htmldocument.getelementfrompoint(VS.80).aspx

There's also an example in vb and c#. This might be barking up the wrong tree though, but I figured it was worth a look.

private void Document_Click(Object sender, HtmlElementEventArgs e)
{
    if (webBrowser1.Document != null)
    {
        HtmlElement elem = webBrowser1.Document.GetElementFromPoint(webBrowser1.Document.Window.Position);
        elem.ScrollIntoView(true);
    }
}
Posted 28 Nov, 2008 13:13:46 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Chris,

Please note that you found the HtmlDocument class in the System.Windows.Forms (in System.Windows.Forms.dll) namespace.

Please try using the following code:

mshtml.IHTMLInputElement inputElement = elementCollection.item(i, i) as mshtml.IHTMLInputElement;
if (inputElement!=null)
{
    if ((bool)inputElement.status == true)
    {
        inputElement.value = "test";
    }
    else
    {
        inputElement.value = "test...";
    }
    Marshal.ReleaseComObject(inputElement);
}