Word Addins - Problems With Adobe

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Word Addins - Problems With Adobe

Andrew Painter

Good morning. I develop using VB.NET in VS 2008 Express and ADX Tools.

Some time back we had a problem with one of my Word Addins, where the menu item was just vanishing completely for no apparent reason. Sergey Grischenko pointed me to the Adobe Addin as the culprit, and his troubleshooting method (deactivating and reactivating the addin via the COM Addins window in Word) solved the problem.

It seems to have been fine for the last little while, until recently the problem popped back up. The user claims he didn't uninstall/reinstall my Addin or Adobe, but that the menustrip just up and vanished on its own.

I'm looking for further causality if anybody has some ideas, and hopefully for some more permanent solution. I've considered adding some code to one of the Addin Initialize routines or to a template that's included with the Addin to make Word clear out and rebuild its COM connections at every run, but since I don't have Adobe to test it with I don't know whether that will work for us or just cause more problems.

Thanks,

Andrew
Posted 20 Nov, 2008 13:18:51 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hello Andrew,

What Office version do you use?

Please try installing the latest version of the Adobe plug-in.
Posted 21 Nov, 2008 06:34:40 Top
Andrew Painter

Office version ranges from 2000 to 2007. I need a complete solution.

Adobe plugin has either been updated as much as possible or is not possible to update. I need a programmatic solution to apply to my addin.

As I said before:

I've considered adding code to an Initialize routine or to a template's autoexec routines. Since I don't personally have Adobe to test with, I need to be advised as to whether this will work or cause additional problems.

Thanks,

Andrew
Posted 21 Nov, 2008 13:43:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Andrew,

Unfortunately, there's no complete solution.

I have a few links which may help you:
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adobe_acrobat_toolbar.htm
http://www.wfu.edu/~yipcw/atg/pdf/acrobat7word2003.html

I'm a pessimist, though.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 24 Nov, 2008 09:48:03 Top