"Unknown Publisher" Security Warning

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

"Unknown Publisher" Security Warning

Prashant Verma

Hi,

We have created a setup project for an outlook add-in. When it is installed at a test PC, we get this warning:

"Open-File Security Warning. The Publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?"

The solution that contains the add-in has three projects. One is the add-in and the two others are class libraries.

In all three of the project properties, under the "Signing" tab, the option "Sign the assembly" is checked and the Strong Name Key file is set to the same strong name key file that was added to the "Add-in" project by the add-in-express wizard.

Any suggestions on what could be going wrong and how to fix it?

Posted 26 Sep, 2008 00:25:47 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Prashant,

It doesn't relate to the strong name key conception. You need to sign the adxloader.dll with your digital signature. Please read more about Digital signature http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signature.
Posted 26 Sep, 2008 05:30:33 Top
Sharad Patel

Eugene,

Could briefly explain how to sign adxloader.dll - I already have a digital signature and I know how to do this for .Net components but not sure how I would do this for the loader dll.

Thanks.
Sharad
Posted 01 Oct, 2008 08:28:57 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Prashant,

Please read the following http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa231196(VS.60).aspx. I hope that you find this information helpful.
Posted 01 Oct, 2008 08:45:05 Top
Sharad Patel

Eugene,

I found the link useful and I have successfully signed the adxloader.dll (I called the signcode app via a commandline in Visual Studio's Post Build event). In Outlook my addin now shows the publisher details correctly.

Best regards,
Sharad
Posted 01 Oct, 2008 09:47:19 Top
Eugene Astafiev

You are welcome, Sharad.
Posted 01 Oct, 2008 09:50:57 Top