Inspector button missing

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Inspector button missing
Inspector button icon / face not appearing on toolbar 
Michael McMahon

Hi there,

I've been using Add-In-Express .NET with to re-develop an add-in which I originally wrote using the ID Extensibility interface for Outlook. It's been good using the Add-In-Express toolkit as it makes my job quite a lot easier. That's the good part...

The goal of my add-in is relatively simple. It just adds a toolbar button to the explorer menu and another to the mail inspector menu(s). The toolbar button should look the same in both menus (i.e. it uses a standard face Id - 271 FYI) and all it does is call some code to interact with another Active X component that sits on the users desktop. The primary purpose is to save an email item into a web based document management system that I develop/maintain. That's the background info.

Now, the issue is that while the Explorer menu button works nicely, the inspector toolbar button is not appearing. The new toolbar button is visible but the button itself with the icon is not. Clicking on the blank toolbar doesn't do anything either, so it appears the button isn't being properly added to the inspector menu.

The button itself is is defined as friend and has the following properties (I just picked the most interesting ones):

Before = 0
BeginGroup = True
Caption = [Same caption as the explorer button] - could this be the issue?
DisableStandardAction = False
Enabled = True
FaceID = 271
Height = 0
HelpContextID = 0
Style = adxMsoButtonIcon
Temporary = True
Visible = TrueLondon07
Width = 0

Has anyone else experienced issues with Inspector buttons? I've specifically only selected mine to be available for the Mail item type.

Would very much appreciate any help that you can give me on this. Thanks in advance!
Posted 03 May, 2005 03:56:04 Top
Aleksey Zhigar

Hi Michael,
I have tested the situation.
All works fine, so I have some questions for you:
1. Do you add buttons with identical properties in both command bars?
2. Do you set the AdxOlInspectorCommandBar Button property Style = adxMsoButtonIcon?
Posted 03 May, 2005 06:33:56 Top
Michael McMahon

Hi Aleksey Zhigar,

In answer to your questions:

1. The buttons that I've added to the explorer and inspector bar are pretty much identical in terms of their properties. I believe the only differences in them are the values of the controlTag... and the ID.

2. yes, the Inspector Command Bar button property style is set to adxMsoButtonIcon.

Thanks for looking into this with me. :)
Posted 03 May, 2005 22:48:09 Top
Aleksey Zhigar

what version of office do you use?
Posted 04 May, 2005 01:25:21 Top
Aleksey Zhigar

I can send you my test project.
Posted 04 May, 2005 01:29:57 Top
Michael McMahon

Hi Aleksey,

I'm currently developing for Outlook 2002. What version of Outlook did you test with? Was it Outlook 2003?

I wouldn't mind getting ahold of your test project to see if I can work out what the differences are. I will email you regarding this.

Thanks,

Mike
Posted 04 May, 2005 01:35:09 Top