Addin does not always load in Outlook

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Addin does not always load in Outlook

Ryan Farley

I have an addin using ADX which does not always load in Outlook. What seems to cause the issue is something else loading Outlook when Windows starts up before I launch Outlook normally.

I have ActiveSync installed to sync Outlook with my PocketPC and also I use Desktop Sidebar which loads Outlook in the background as well. It is likely one of these apps that causes Outlook to load in the background - but that is besides the point. When I do a fresh reboot I check the task list and see that Outlook is running in the background. If I then launch Outlook the Add-in does not appear, although I see it listed in the COM Add-ins dialog. If I close Outlook, then kill the outlook process in the task manager, and then launch outlook again then I see my addin (or uncheck and check the listing in the COM Addins dialog). Similarly, when I reboot, if I immediately kill the Outlook process on the task list and then launch Outlook I see the addin. This only happens with Addins I've built using ADX. I have other addins (such as the Outlook to OneNote power toy - which is also built in .NET) that don't have a problem and load every time regardless of whether the task manager shows Outlook running in the background or not.

My Addin uses a ADXOlExplorerCommandBar and also an ADXOlInspectorCommandBar.

Any suggestions? Any I doing something wrong? Thanks.

-Ryan
Posted 29 Apr, 2005 17:57:26 Top
Ryan Farley

BTW, this seems to happen with any addin built with ADX (such as the ADX Toys addin).

I have other users that see this same problem with my addin, so I know it is not just my machine. These other users also use things like ActiveSync for the PPC etc also - not sure if that helps.

Thanks.
-Ryan
Posted 29 Apr, 2005 18:36:17 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ryan.

I suppose the Outlook to OneNote Power Toy add-in use the Load on Demand behavior in Outlook. You can use this behavior for ADX based add-ins as well. Just set the LoadBihavior property of an AddinModule to the ConnectFirstTime. However to use this behavior for your add-in you will have to set the OnAction property of your controls to "!<ProgID of your Add-in>" in the AddinStartupComplete event handler. You also need to set the Temporary property of your command bars to false.
After the add-in has been installed you should start Outlook normally at least once so that all command bars will be added to Outlook.
Posted 30 Apr, 2005 17:35:53 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ryan.

We are planing to publish a new ADX build in a week or two and this issue will be fixed. You will not have to use the Load on Demand behavior and set the OnAction property manually in the code. Just wait a little.
Posted 02 May, 2005 14:59:10 Top
Ryan Farley

Sergey,

That is awesome news! You guys really rock!

Thanks,
-Ryan
Posted 03 May, 2005 15:33:10 Top
Ryan Farley

Just tested this with a new build of ADX and it is now working great - my addin loads 100% of the time. My addin using ADX now loads better than other commercial addins do (and even better than some Microsoft addins).

Thanks again.

-Ryan
Posted 22 May, 2005 23:57:12 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ryan.

Thank you for help.
Posted 23 May, 2005 05:40:55 Top