[Issue] Uninstall Addin on mulit-user computer

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

[Issue] Uninstall Addin on mulit-user computer

Sven Heitmann

Good Morning,

I would like to know, what steps should be done on uninstalling an AddIn installed as "register for all users".
When I have 3 users at one computer, and I uninstall it, the normal.dot of the other two keeps the AddIn icons.

What would you suggest to do here?

As I mentioned last here, for Word, you could use another dot file as normal.dot to store the icons. On uninstalling you only have to remove the bar then.

One other thing I have seen:
I registered the AddIn for all users, so the HCLM tree is used to register the AddIn at word. However there are still settings at the HKCU tree, not only the cache.

So I get some trouble when I changed the ProgId of my AddIn some day last year.
The AddIn was uninstalled fine, but the normal.dot and the HKCU settings of the other users on my machine were kept.
The first thing I had to do was to remove the old bars by hand, which isn't fine. (Used a VBS script)
The other ting is, the AddIn was loaded twice now, because it was registered with the new PROGID (HCLM) and the old PROGID (HKCU, old settings not removed earlier). This I had to remove with a script too.

This is, in my mind, not a nice behavior.

What I like to see is a good uninstall behavior for an ADX-AddIn, because it is hard to do an update without some scripts cleaning old installations all the way.

If possible, store the bars into a global place, which is shared by all users, when I register it for all users.
Prevent the HCKU settings for a "register to all user" AddIn. However the cache is not the problem, but perhaps some other place or even as file would be better.
Sometimes some icons are deleted, and to reload them I reset the AddIn: delete the cache and set to FIRSTSTART.

Also I get sometimes clean bars, when an AddIn was uninstalled with another user. The old normal.dot and cache data still exists, but a new AddIn was installed...

I hope you can understand, what I mean.
If not, contact me at ICQ or we can also discuss it here, so other users can also post their suggestion, ideas and experience with this.
Best regards,

Sven Heitmann
Posted 28 Apr, 2005 03:22:09 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Sven.

I would like to know, what steps should be done on uninstalling an AddIn installed as "register for all users".
When I have 3 users at one computer, and I uninstall it, the normal.dot of the other two keeps the AddIn icons.

What would you suggest to do here?

I see two ways to solve this issue.
1. Set the Temporary property of your command bars to true.
2. Remove all command bars and controls in the AddinFinalize event handler while Word closes.

One other thing I have seen:
I registered the AddIn for all users, so the HCLM tree is used to register the AddIn at word. However there are still settings at the HKCU tree, not only the cache.

The fact is that a user doesn't have permissions to write to the HCLM tree. That's why we store the ADX settings to the HKCU tree.

So I get some trouble when I changed the ProgId of my AddIn some day last year.
The AddIn was uninstalled fine, but the normal.dot and the HKCU settings of the other users on my machine were kept.
The first thing I had to do was to remove the old bars by hand, which isn't fine. (Used a VBS script)
The other ting is, the AddIn was loaded twice now, because it was registered with the new PROGID (HCLM) and the old PROGID (HKCU, old settings not removed earlier). This I had to remove with a script too.

This is, in my mind, not a nice behavior.

Sven, we know about this issue. We are going to improve ADX gradually. I think we will solve this issue in the near future.

Posted 28 Apr, 2005 15:27:20 Top
Sven Heitmann

I see two ways to solve this issue.
1. Set the Temporary property of your command bars to true.
2. Remove all command bars and controls in the AddinFinalize event handler while Word closes.

Ok, I will test this.
You know, the Addin uses a lot of Bars and Icons and the first start (where it loads the bars) needs some time. It would be a bad feeling for our users, if word needs about 20 seconds each time it starts.
However my Addin itself needs some improvements, I don't want to say there is nothing lousy programming by me inside ;)

Another issue with this is, the bars would loose their information about position of bars and controls. ADX is not supporting some technique to store this... I have this problem on an update too. However some selfmade solution would help for this.

The fact is that a user doesn't have permissions to write to the HCLM tree. That's why we store the ADX settings to the HKCU tree.

I totaly forget this. You told this to me last time we spoke about. I'm sorry.
However what about using files?

Sven, we know about this issue. We are going to improve ADX gradually. I think we will solve this issue in the near future.

Good to hear =)
I know you are doing a great job with adx and Office is far behind a nice application to work with.
Best regards,

Sven Heitmann
Posted 29 Apr, 2005 02:59:36 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Sven.

However what about using files?

I think we need to find more elegant solution. Probably it will be a solution specially for Word. Anyway I am sure we don't want to stop the ADX development.
Posted 29 Apr, 2005 16:00:38 Top