Unable to register Word Addin on production machine

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Unable to register Word Addin on production machine

Christopher Melvin

I have things working the way I want on my development machine. Use of the Register ADX Addin and Unregister ADX Addin menu items under the Build menu work great on my development machine.

However, when I get to the production machine, the setup does not register the addin.

After looking through the forums, I changes the Register property of AddinExpress.MSO.dll from vsdraDoNotRegister (which is the default by the way) to vsdraCOM. This did not resolve the product.

My Addin's register property is set to vsdraCOM. Changing this to vsdraCOMSelfReg produces a build error, so I changed back to the vsdraCOM.

The two functions you have provided .ADXRegister and .AddinRegister are not used in any of the sample code and are not covered in the manual, so I'm not sure how to use these or if they are part of the registration process called from external process.

At this point I am unsure how to proceed.

Please advise.

Chris
Posted 14 Apr, 2005 18:25:29 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Chris.

You SHOULDN'T manupulate the Register property of the AddinExpress.MSO.dll assembly withing the ADX based setup project. It can affect the ADX registration entries in the system registry. The fact is that the ADX Wizard creates a new setup project for each add-in automatically. All that you need is just build the setup project. Look at the Custom Actions editor of the setup in VS. You will see the actions which will help you to register your add-in on the target PC. As for the Register property, use it for unmanaged dll like a shim dll that can be created by the ADX Wizard. If you are not able to customize your setup project I can help you. Just send me the code.
Posted 15 Apr, 2005 05:20:09 Top
Christopher Melvin

Sergey,

I don't think I was very clear in my question. The default setup created by the wizard does not result in the addin being registered.

Is there something I should look for that would cause the addin to not register?

I opened the Custom Actions editor and there is nothing in it.

If you still want I can send you the entire project.

Chris
Posted 16 Apr, 2005 21:30:14 Top
Christopher Melvin

Sergey,

Ok. This is now working. We added the output of the addin project to the Install and Uninstall of the Custom Actions editor. This resulted in the addin being properly registered and showing up in Word.

Thanks for the tip.

Chris
Posted 17 Apr, 2005 23:36:12 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Chris.

I am glad for you. Let me know if you face any difficulties.
Good luck.
Posted 18 Apr, 2005 04:55:24 Top