Implications of changing the default Namespace

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Implications of changing the default Namespace

Philip Street

I working on a project which contains several components, e.g. a Windows Forms application, a business tier DLL and a data tier DLL. We have changed the Assembly Name, Root Namespace and Project file names using the following format;

CompanyName.DepartmentCode.ApplicationCode.Component

I now need to add an additional component, which is an Office Add-In.

I used the Add-in Express.Net project wizard to create my Add-in project (plus Shim and setup projects) and have changed the Assembly Name, Root Namespace and Project file (of just the Add-in project) from the default to the format used above.

Can you forsee any issues with the Shim, or even the setup, i.e. considering that I'm changing the above details of the Add-in project after the others were been generated?

Cheers,

Phil
Posted 08 Apr, 2005 12:20:09 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Phil.

There are some rules you need remember. If you change the Assembly Name of your add-in don't forget to change the CustomActionData property in the Custom Actions editor of the setup project (e.g /Addin="[TARGETDIR]\<assembly name>.dll"). If the Project file is changed you will have to change the Shim project file as well (e.g. Shim project name = Project name of your add-in + "Shim"). Probably you will have to change the Output path for the Shim project so that the add-in and shim are located in the same folder. As for Root Namespace, you can change it as you like.
Posted 08 Apr, 2005 15:51:22 Top
Philip Street

Sergey,

Thanks for the clarification.

Phil
Posted 11 Apr, 2005 04:20:21 Top
Philip Street

Help!

I've tried two things. The method above, whereby a specify the project name as OfficeAddIn and then try to change it to <COMPANY>.<DEPT>.<APP>.OfficeAddIn, but that caused a whole load of errors in the Shim project.

Since that didn't work I tried specificying the project as <COMPANY>.<DEPT>.<APP>.OfficeAddIn but that caused different compilation errors (see below).

c:\Visual studio projects\<COMPANY>\<DEPT>\<APP>\<COMPANY>.<DEPT>.<APP>.OfficeAddin\<COMPANY>.<DEPT>.<APP>.OfficeAddinShim\<COMPANY>.<DEPT>.<APP>.OfficeAddinShim.idl(10): error MIDL2025 : syntax error : expecting { near "."

Any suggestions?

Phil
Posted 11 Apr, 2005 06:53:51 Top
Philip Street

BTW The company/dept/app names have been changed to protext the innocent... :-)

Phil
Posted 11 Apr, 2005 06:54:40 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Phil.

I am afraid you can't use "." more than once in the ATL Project name.
Try to replace "." with "_" or something else.
Posted 11 Apr, 2005 10:13:07 Top
Philip Street

Sergey,

Ahhhh, I see. I'll give that a try.

Phil
Posted 11 Apr, 2005 10:20:43 Top