Unable to register ADX Addin Project

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Unable to register ADX Addin Project

Oliver Degnan

For some unknown reason, and eventhough it had worked before, I am no longer able to Register ADX Project by right-clicking on the project file. When doing so, the addin for Outlook is not being regsitered anymore.
Also, I am not able to debug the Outlook add-in anymore either when installing it using the Setup program.

I've tried on a new project and it works fine.

Any ideas what could have happend?
Any tests I can run to trouble shoot?

Thanks.

O.
Posted 28 Mar, 2005 13:40:26 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Oliver.

Do you get an error message while the add-in is being registered in VS?
Try to remove all references to your add-in project in the system registry. Use the regedit.exe to find all keys and values with the name of your add-in project.
Posted 29 Mar, 2005 06:30:12 Top
Oliver Degnan

Yes, I cleaned out the registry. Same problem.

Here is something else:

I am using about 5 class projects next to my Addin project in the same solution. Some of them are set to "Register with COM Interop", some are not. The onse set to COM Interop have to be set this way or it won't compile. (Some type usage issue)
It's almost like once the TypeLib has been registered, VS.NET won't unregister it again. Because when I changed the signature of one of the methods, the project wouldn't compile at all anymore. I then tried on different machine and it worked again; the compiling that is - not the addin showing up in Outlook.

All those issues have something to do with Type Libraries (COM Interop). The way VS.NET parses the code before compiling.

The main problem persists: When using the regular Setup project and installing the addin works fine (but can't debug - breakpoints have "?"). When using "Register ADX Project", the addin is not being installed at all (does not show up in Outlook).

Any thoughts are aappreciated.
Posted 29 Mar, 2005 09:30:40 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Oliver,
I would like to look at your code. Could you sent me the project?
Posted 29 Mar, 2005 10:11:03 Top
Oliver D.

Sent it to you! ;)
Posted 29 Mar, 2005 14:51:13 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Oliver.

I received your project. Thanks. I will test the code and will let you know about results a little bit later.
Posted 30 Mar, 2005 03:51:14 Top
Daniel McPherson

Hi Folks,

I'm seeing this issue too.

Even if I create a brand new Outlook Add-In project, do nothing but try and register the Add-in, it still does not appear as a COM Add-In in Outlook.
Posted 30 Mar, 2005 10:56:00 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Daniel.

Did you set the SupportedApps property as "Outlook"?
Posted 30 Mar, 2005 14:03:50 Top
Oliver D.

Here is what I found out from Microsoft today, which fixed by biuld issue.

Do pre-build command "gacutil /cdl" to clear local type lib cache to ensure you always have the latest version loaded.

This happens because I am using .NET Remoting, which runs in IIS. And when the addin connects to the remoting service the first time, the strongly named assembly will be cached.
The cache however is not being cleared correctly by VS.NET (bug). So you must manually clear the GAC Cache.

The only issue I am still having is the debug feature. When using Register ADX Project, the addin does not show up in Outlook. When I use the regular Setup Project, the addin shows up, but I can't debug.

That's all I got for now. :-)
Posted 30 Mar, 2005 14:07:55 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Oliver,

Set the Output Path property as "bin/Debug" and all will be ok. Your add-in doesn't appear in Outlook because the add-in and shim dlls are placed into different folders.
Posted 30 Mar, 2005 14:27:44 Top