Add-In Fails to Run - Word 2007, Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-In Fails to Run - Word 2007, Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Andrew Szczeszynski

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with my add-in (for Word) failing to work on a client's computer - Vista Ultimate 32-bit with Word 2007. I have been unable to re-create the problem on my computers (and virtual machines), but I'm also having a problem with getting to the bottom of this.

The installation passes successfully, but the add-in fails to run in Word 2007. When opening Word -> Options -> Add-Ins, the add-in is listed. When clicking on Manage: COM Add-Ins : Go, the Add-in is listed, but the check-mark beside it is off.

Now here's the problem: when trying to re-activate it, or when trying to remove it and add it manually, adxloader starts complaining that Word is open and won't continue registration. The dialog box cannot be closed, and Word cannot be closed - the only way to exit this is to terminate Word from the process manager. How can I fix adxloader to allow it? Any ideas on why the add-in would be disabled in Word?

Second: there seems to be a bug with Adxloader (on all my machines) - it tries to load the Word add-in (and only Word add-in) in Outlook 2007. In addition, HostApplication is set to null in the AddinModule when it tries to do this. The work around is to simply check for a null HostApplication and refuse to do anything.

I am using Add-in basic 1886 (I have been reluctant to upgrade to minimize the chance of introducing new bugs since we're releasing. However, if these bugs are fixed in the newer version, I will upgrade).

Sincerely,
Andrew

Posted 20 Apr, 2008 16:39:14 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Andrew.

1. Is UAC turned on in Vista?
2. Please check the SupportedApps property of the add-in.

Posted 21 Apr, 2008 08:54:02 Top
Andrew Szczeszynski

I'm asking the client right now about UAC. If UAC is off, would this explain things? What should I be doing if UAC is off that I'm not doing right now? (i.e. what am I doing wrong for UAC is off systems?)

I'm pretty sure SupportedApps is only Word - it has always been a Word app only - however, I won't be able to confirm this for sure until much later.

Regardles of UAC setting, is there a way to make adxloader allow the user to turn the add-in on or off via the 'Managed Add-In' screen in Word 2007?

Cheers,
Andrew
Posted 21 Apr, 2008 10:30:45 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

If UAC is turned on, the user will able to turn the add-in on/off via the COM Add-ins dialog.
Please read the following article (see the 'Registry Entries for Microsoft Office 2003 Add-ins on Windows Vista' section):
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms269007(vs.80).aspx#Office2003Vista
Posted 21 Apr, 2008 11:23:23 Top
Andrew Szczeszynski

Sergey,

you hit it on the nail - UAC off was causing the install problem - installation worked great after that. I'll look into populating the registry entries so the install will work with UAC off.

Cheers,
Andrew
Posted 21 Apr, 2008 13:56:54 Top