Two Addins & problems sending an email

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Alexander Webb

I have developed two add-ins using Add-in Express that are causing problems when sending emails from Outlook 2003. The first add-in cancels the send of an email. The second add-in does not.

If the first add-in processes first, the sending of an email is cancelled and I am returned to the email. If the second add-in processes first, the email is closed before the first add-in has performed any actions. The code runs to cancel the send of the email, but as the email is closed it is lost. The email is not in the Drafts folder in Outlook and is not in the Sent Items folder either.

Why does the email get closed? How can I prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Alex Webb

I am using the following:
Visual Studio 2005 Professional
Add-in Express 2008 for .NET Standard
Posted 01 Apr, 2008 08:20:29 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alexander.

Please try to use the ADXOutlookItemEvents class to process events of the mail item (see the OutlookItemEvents example from the Add-in Express installation package).
Posted 01 Apr, 2008 08:45:02 Top
Alexander Webb

Thanks for the quick response :) This seems to have resolved the issue when using 2 add-ins developed using Add-in Express.

However we still experience the problem when using a legacy add-in that is installed on some of our client machines. These legacy ones are not written using Add-in Express. Unfortunately re-writing these legacy applications to use Add-in Express is not possible as that would take some time.

Is there any way of using Add-in Express to develop Outlook add-ins that do not experience this problem? Can we stop the closee of the email?

Thanks,
Alex
Posted 01 Apr, 2008 09:45:50 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Alex, did you try the ADXOutlookItemEvents class? It seems to me it should help you.
Posted 01 Apr, 2008 11:04:58 Top
Alexander Webb

I used the ADXOutlookItemEvents class for the first add-in that needs to hook into the ItemSend event (I believe it is called ProcessSend within that class). The second add-in written using Add-in Express then works without any problems. The ADXOutlookItemEvents class has fixed this problem.

However, I am still experiencing the issue when using the first add-in alongside one of our legacy add-ins that was not written using Add-in Express.

Posted 01 Apr, 2008 11:15:48 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

I even don't have any idea. I am afraid you will have to rewrite the legacy add-in.
Posted 01 Apr, 2008 11:23:45 Top
Alexander Webb

At present that is not an option for us as this would take considerable time. Until that can be done (2-3 years in the future) we will continue to use other technologies other than Add-in Express as it is not compatible.

Thanks,
Alex
Posted 02 Apr, 2008 10:41:05 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alex.

Ok, it's up to you. However I don't quite understand how I can make Add-in Express compatible with any third party add-ins whose sources are inaccessible for me.
Posted 03 Apr, 2008 06:46:38 Top