Add-In exception on Outlook startup

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-In exception on Outlook startup

Dave Gardner

Hi,

One of our customers is getting the following exception thrown in Outlook on startup. This is causing Outlook to crash:

System Info:
===========

Start Time: 26/10/2007 8:47:07 a.m.
Outlook version: 11.0.0.6359
Outlook version: 11.0.0.6359
* Add-in 1:2, ProgID: Microsoft.VbaAddinForOutlook.1, Connect: True, Description: Microsoft VBA for Outlook Addin
* Add-in 2:2, ProgID: OutlookAddIn.AddinModule, Connect: True, Description: Intilecta Outlook Client
Exceptions:
===========

AddinExpress.OL.ADXOlFormsManager error:
Exception time: 26/10/2007 11:20:23 a.m.

AddinExpress.OL.ADXOlFormsManager error:
Error occured in ADXOlFormsManager.DoShowExplorerForm . See 'Details' section to get more detailed information about the error.
Detailed technical information follows:
---
Date and Time: 26/10/2007 11:20:23 a.m.
Machine Name: M90455
IP Address: 10.109.12.122
Current User: CORPORATE\OrmsbyGu

Application Domain: C:\Program Files\Intilecta\Intilecta Outlook Client\
Assembly Codebase: file:///C:/Program Files/Intilecta/Intilecta Outlook Client/AddinExpress.OL.2005.DLL
Assembly Full Name: AddinExpress.OL.2005, Version=3.5.911.2005, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e69a7e0f3592d2b8
Assembly Version: 3.5.911.2005
Assembly Build Date: 30/06/2002 2:06:50 a.m.

Exception Source: AddinExpress.OL.2005
Exception Type: System.NullReferenceException
Exception Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Exception Target Site: AdxOlShow

---- Stack Trace ----
AddinExpress.OL.ADXOlForm.AdxOlShow(appWindowProperty As AppWindowProperty)
AddinExpress.OL.2005.DLL: N 0272 (0x110) IL
AddinExpress.OL.ADXOlFormsManager.DoShowExplorerForm(Item As ADXOlFormsCollectionItem, ExplorerArgs As ADXOlExplorerArguments)
AddinExpress.OL.2005.DLL: N 0258 (0x102) IL

There was some other log information following this, but it looks a bit too large to include here. I will email it separately.

This is occurring on a machine running Outlook 2003 on Windows 2000 Professional.

Regards,
Dave
Posted 29 Oct, 2007 02:11:51 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Hello Dave,

Could you please install the latest 3.6 version of Add-in Express, rebuild and test the add-in?
I see the Outlook of your customer has not a Service Pack installed. Could you please ask him update Office?
Posted 29 Oct, 2007 03:45:59 Top
Dave Gardner

Hi Fedor,

As per my email response, unfortunately neither of these are options for us. The customer is a very large multinational company, and they have very strict policies about deploying software and updates in their organisation. It would literally take months to get any changes such as this tested, approved, scripted, and then rolled out using their software deployment system.

Is there a reason why you think that upgrading to version 3.6 of Add-In Express would fix this? Has something changed in the method that is throwing the exception? Do you have any ideas of what could be the cause of this error?

Thanks for your prompt response.

Regards,
Dave
Posted 29 Oct, 2007 07:23:01 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Dave,

The new AdxOlShow method (see the log) contains the additional checking that should prevent the exception. Also the latest version contains more log information that could help determine a problem.

I can assume the explorer closes when a form is shown.

BTW, I see Outlook works for about 3 hours before the exception (See the Start Time and the Exception time in the log).
Are you sure your customers is gets the exception thrown in Outlook on startup?

Can you send me the ADXOlBeforeFormShow event code for analysis?
Posted 29 Oct, 2007 10:16:23 Top
Dave Gardner

Thanks Fedor

It's interesting that the exception seems to be 3 hours after startup. Perhaps we haven't been given correct information. I will follow up with the customer and try to obtain more information.

I'll also send you our ADXOlBeforeFormShow event code via email.

Regards,
Dave
Posted 29 Oct, 2007 10:58:29 Top
Dave Gardner

We have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the Add-In on this machine, and the issue has now gone away. I'm assuming there was something corrupt with the add-in.

This uninstall/reinstall was done previously, but maybe there was also a problem with that.

Either way it is fixed now.
Posted 01 Nov, 2007 21:03:41 Top