Behaviour of add-in if certain Office applications are not installed?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Behaviour of add-in if certain Office applications are not installed?

Philip Street

I am developing an add-in that is supposed to support a number of Office applications, for example Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, Visio, Publisher, and Project, if they happen to installed on the target machine. Therefore my add-in project contains references to the object library for each of the above applications.

What will happen if one of those applications is not installed on a machine on which my add-in has been installed? Will it still run in the other applications?

I am assuming it will because the add-in project references the Interop assemblies, which will be installed as part of the add-in MSI.

Does that make any sense? If so, can someone confirm that that (a) the MSI will still install correctly, and (b) the add-in will still work.

Many thanks,

Phil
Posted 28 Feb, 2005 11:12:46 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Phil.

What will happen if one of those applications is not installed on a machine on which my add-in has been installed? Will it still run in the other applications?

Yes, it will. The add-in will work correctly. In any case you always can check in your code whether an application is installed on PC using the following statement:

Type excelAppType = Type.GetTypeFromProgID("Excel.Application");
Posted 28 Feb, 2005 12:32:28 Top