'Cannot retrieve application. Authentication error' on Outlook install

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

'Cannot retrieve application. Authentication error' on Outlook install

Justin Tighe

When I use the publish wizard for my outlook add-in, the files are published on my local machine under the root of the application in a folder called 'Publish'. In the publish wizard under deployment options i specify a provider URL of a network location where I want the files to be deployed from, but no files get placed there.

If I run the deployed files from my local machine the installation works fine and there are no problems. As it is my local machine no one else can run the install routine. I moved the install files and folders to the network, but now the install routine gives me an error of

'Cannot retrieve application. Authentication error'

The log file details are:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
	Windows 			: 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
	Common Language Runtime 	: 2.0.50727.42
	System.Deployment.dll 		: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
	mscorwks.dll 			: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
	dfdll.dll 			: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
	dfshim.dll 			: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

SOURCES
	Deployment url			: file://pppserver01/jobs/JIMS/Install/JIMS%20Email%20Copier/jims_outlook.application
	Deployment Provider url		: file://pppserver01/jobs/jims/Install/JIMS%20Email%20Copier

ERROR SUMMARY
	Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
	* Activation of \pppserver01jobsJIMSInstallJIMS Email Copierjims_outlook.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
		+ Downloading file://pppserver01/jobs/jims/Install/JIMS Email Copier did not succeed.
		+ Access to the path '\pppserver01jobsjimsInstallJIMS Email Copier' is denied.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
	No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
	There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
	* [13/07/2007 16:41:42] : Activation of \pppserver01jobsJIMSInstallJIMS Email Copierjims_outlook.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
	Following errors were detected during this operation.
	* [13/07/2007 16:41:42] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
		- Downloading file://pppserver01/jobs/jims/Install/JIMS Email Copier did not succeed.
		- Source: System.Deployment
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
			at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
			at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirect(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.FollowDeploymentProviderUri(SubscriptionStore subStore, AssemblyManifest& deployment, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
		--- Inner Exception ---
		System.Net.WebException
		- Access to the path '\pppserver01jobsjimsInstallJIMS Email Copier' is denied.
		- Source: System
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Net.FileWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
			at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponse()
			at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
		--- Inner Exception ---
		System.Net.WebException
		- Source: System
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)
			at System.Net.FileWebRequest.WrappedGetResponseCallback(Object state)
		--- Inner Exception ---
		System.UnauthorizedAccessException
		- Source: mscorlib
		- Stack trace:
			at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
			at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
			at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync)
			at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async)
			at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
	No transaction information is available.

The log file seems to imply that I don't have permission for the folder, but this is wrong. I am an administrator on the network and I have full access to the folders.

Your help is appreciated
Kind regards
Justin
Posted 13 Jul, 2007 12:18:42 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Justin.

The fact is that the provider URL field contains the update URL. It is used to update the application when a new version of the application is available on the server. Please provide the http://... Url in the Provider URL field in the Publish wizard.
Do you use IE to run the installation?

Posted 13 Jul, 2007 12:45:46 Top
Justin Tighe

Hi Sergey,

I changed the provider URL to:

http://pppserver01/jobs/jims/Install/JIMS_Outlook

But the files are still not placed on this network location, but in my local drive.

I am not using IE to run the install, it was just going to be the user running the install package from the network once, then using the wizard to check for updates as required

Justin
Posted 13 Jul, 2007 14:38:09 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Justin.

It is not possible to install a COM add-in on the network drive. You can install it in the local ClickOnce cache only.
Posted 16 Jul, 2007 07:39:03 Top