ADX Outlook Extensions & Infragistics combobox problem

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

ADX Outlook Extensions & Infragistics combobox problem

Paul Olohan

I am using Add-in Express 2007 for .NET Premium, build 1875 and Infragistics NetAdvantage v7.1 (with hotfix 7.1.20071.1048).

I encounter problems with their controls when placed onto an ADX Extensions form, specifically that clicking a combobox that is either directly placed onto an ADXOlForm or is within a Infragistics menubar on an ADXOlForm results in the drop down appearing and then disappearing immediately.

This does not occur with the previous version of NetAdvantage (6.3) but occurs with version 7.1 (with or without Infragistics hotfixes).

We shall also be looking to use the latest release of Infragitsics (v7.2) when it is released next month and therefore any permanent fix on this problem would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Paul
Posted 26 Jun, 2007 09:06:58 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Hello Paul,

Sorry, we don't have Infragistics controls.
Could you please create a test addin that demonstartes the issue and send its installation to the support email (see readme.txt) ?.

Also, it would be great if you include a standard Winform to this add-in ( it could be shown say, via a CommandBar button). The form should contain the Infragistics combobox. With this add-in at hand, I could compare the combo's behaviour.
Posted 26 Jun, 2007 12:18:21 Top
Paul Olohan

Hello Fedor,

I have sent an email to you at support with a sample project as requested.

Best regards,

Paul

Posted 28 Jun, 2007 06:34:28 Top
Paul Olohan

Hello Fedor,

Have you been able to replicate this problem?

Do you have a timescale to produce a fix or workaround?

Best regards,

Paul
Posted 09 Jul, 2007 05:48:51 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Paul, we reproduced this issue and now we are busy with this problem.
Besides, we have reproduce this behaviour with version 6.
Did you use build 1875 of Add-in Express with Infragistics NetAdvantage v6?
Posted 09 Jul, 2007 06:38:24 Top
Paul Olohan

Hello Fedor,

No I did not use 1875 with NetAdvantage version 6 but I did use build 1872 successfully.

Best regards,

Paul
Posted 09 Jul, 2007 07:33:43 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Paul,

With version 6, we get the correct behaviour (sorry, we had a mistake with references).
Unfortunatelly, we can not specify a timescale. There is a possibility that we will not be able to resolve this issue before September.
Posted 09 Jul, 2007 12:59:55 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Paul,

We have created the project that emulates embedding a form to Outlook. This requires us to apply the WS_CHILD style for the form. As you can see the Infragistics combobox behaves incorrectly in this case too. Please download the http://www.add-in-express.com/projects/adx-x-ol-3-test_ultra_combo.zip and address this problem to Infragistics support.
Posted 11 Jul, 2007 07:34:05 Top
Paul Olohan

Fedor,

Many thanks for very prompt responses on this problem and for the test project.

I have contacted Infragistics support with the test project and I await their response.

Best regards,

Paul
Posted 11 Jul, 2007 08:17:21 Top
Paul Olohan

Hello Fedor,

I have had a response from Infragistics, which indicates that the use of external COM DLL calls (your example uses calls to user32.dll) is not supported.

This obviously now means that Infragistics controls are no longer usable with Add-In-Express from v7 onwards, which is a great shame as we have major developments using both products combined and I am sure there are other customers of both products who will now hit the same problems in the future.

Their response was as follows;

"Thank you for your support submission. I have tested the sample that you provided, and have determined that the cause of the problem are the methods from the COM dll that is imported into the sample. If you comment out the lines that call the methods in Form2, when the sample is run, the UltraComboEditor behaves correctly- when you click its dropdown button, the dropdown portion appears correctly.

Unfortunately since the cause of the problem is the external COM dll, there is nothing Infragistics Developer Support can do. Infragistics does not support the use of NetAdvantage for .NET with external COM dll's, due to the fact that we have not tested this combination. Our customers are welcome to attempt to use the two, however if any problems arise that cannot be reproduced without the COM dll's, Infragistcs Developer Support cannot provide assistance."

Again, many thanks for the assistance you provided in diagnosing the problem.

Best regards,

Paul
Posted 12 Jul, 2007 05:21:39 Top