Pre-sales

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Pre-sales
Excel Add-In / Unload issues 
Tim OPry

We have developed an Add-In for Excel and Word using the Shared Add-In template within VS2005.

The Add-In works without problem, however - we have an issue with Excel being terminated from memory/process list under certain situations.

I have posted a message in the MSDN forums with the details: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1654718&SiteID=1&mode=1

Do you know if your add-in template exhibits this same behavior - specifically, if we create an instance of the Excel.Application object in another .Net application, create an instance to the Add-In object and manipulate properties of Excel through the Add-In, will we face the same release issues? We cannot tell if this is an issue related to Excel/COM or something unique to the VS template.
Posted 27 May, 2007 15:56:11 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Tim.

Do you use the Marshal.ReleaseComObject method to clear Excel objects which are no longer used in the add-in code?

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them. Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found
Posted 28 May, 2007 09:08:14 Top
Tim OPry

Yes, I am using Framework 2, so I use Marshal.FinalReleaseComObject which does work. My concern dealt with my perception of the pecularities/hoops one has to go through using the .Net interop assemblies for Office.

Once I saw the information in this post: http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?t=160433, I now understand the issue - and while my application and add-in do work, I was looking to 'simplify' things, reduce chasing odd issues due to this.

Since your product is a .Net add-in, I'm assuming you will face the same requirements -though the shadow copy implementation is a big plus.

No need for further info, but thanks for the prompt reply.

Posted 28 May, 2007 10:08:47 Top