Trying to get the com add-in load behaviour right

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Trying to get the com add-in load behaviour right

Joost Verdaasdonk

Hi All,

I'm building a new installer for our com add-in.
But first the version of the components our company uses:
adxloader.dll (1.0.0.1)
AddinExpress.MSO (2.8.1763.2003)

I'm trying to achieve the following with the installer:

* Install only for current user (So no HKLM keys)
* The user should start the add-in from a button in another add-in so the loadbehaviour of the addin should be: ConnectFirstTime

In addinmodule I have:

Me.AddinName = "WordEdit"
        Me.Description = "WordEdit"
        Me.DisplayAlerts = True
        Me.RegisterForAllUsers = False
        Me.LoadBehavior = AddinExpress.MSO.ADXLoadBehavior.lbConnectFirstTime
        Me.SupportedApps = AddinExpress.MSO.ADXOfficeHostApp.ohaWord

In my Loader manifest I have:

<configuration> 
  <assemblyIdentity name="WordEdit, PublicKeyToken=dbcedb2d5a4fa549" /> 
  <loaderSettings generateLogFile="true" shadowCopyEnabled="false" privileges="user" /> 
</configuration> 

However the installer is not creating the correct keys on install.
Currentuser key I get:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOfficeWordAddinsWordEdit.AddinModule]
"FriendlyName"="WordEdit"
"Description"=""
"CommandLineSafe"=dword:00000000
"ADXStartMode"="NORMAL"
"LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOfficeWordAddinsWordEdit.AddinModuleControls]

Description is not filled in correct and the LoadBehavior is not set to the correct value.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Joost
Regards,
ManualMaster Development
Posted 25 May, 2007 18:35:43 Top
Joost Verdaasdonk

Back again :)

The problem is solved
I found out a strange thing. In order to get your latest changes in the setup project you have to delete the currect Primary Output for your project and re-add it to the setup project.

After you do that all works as expected.

Question:

Is this normal behaviour in the version we use? And if so has this behaviour changed in the latest version?
Regards,
ManualMaster Development
Posted 25 May, 2007 19:21:48 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Joost.

Add-in Express v2.8 doesn't support installation of COM add-ins in the HKCU only. To install the add-in under a non-admin user please upgrade the product.

I found out a strange thing. In order to get your latest changes in the setup project you have to delete the currect Primary Output for your project and re-add it to the setup project.

You just need to copy a new version of the loader to the Loader subdirectory of your add-in project and re-register it.

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 28 May, 2007 09:09:29 Top
Joost Verdaasdonk

Hi Sergey,

Thank you for your answers.

Add-in Express v2.8 doesn't support installation of COM add-ins in the HKCU only. To install the add-in under a non-admin user please upgrade the product.

Can you advise me on which version I should upgrade to make this work? (latest version?)
And if so would that be within our current license or should we pay an upgrade fee? (I've no idea how old our license is)

You just need to copy a new version of the loader to the Loader subdirectory of your add-in project and re-register it.

Is that newer version of the loader allready available or was this tip also meant to be solved with your previous tip? (Update te product)

Thanks for helping out.
Regards,
ManualMaster Development
Posted 29 May, 2007 10:33:13 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Joost.

Please upgrade the product here (see the 'Upgrade prices' section):
http://www.add-in-express.com/add-in-net/pricing.php

After you upgrade the product please copy a new version of the loader and change the adxloader.dll.manifest file as described in our documentation.
Posted 29 May, 2007 11:03:23 Top
Joost Verdaasdonk

Hi Sergey,

For now I have to solve my query without any upgrade cause the entire project is tested and approved based uppon the current version of addinexpress.

I'll upgrade the add-in software shortly to prepare for the next version of the add-in so it can be thouroughly tested before releasing it.

Can you for now confirm that the current workarround I use to get my files updated in the setup project is a good one or would you recommend something else for the time beeing? (until upgrading in a next version of our product)

Thanks for the support so far. :)
Regards,
ManualMaster Development
Posted 29 May, 2007 12:59:40 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Joost.

I didn't experience the situation when I should re-add the Primary Outlput of the add-in project. Usually the setup project updates itself automatically.
Posted 30 May, 2007 09:21:42 Top
Joost Verdaasdonk

Hi Sergey, :)

Yup I figured the same. All my setup projects behave in that manner but the addin project doesn't

For now my workarround works so that's just fine.

In the near future I'll update and I hope this issue is gone too.

Thanks
Regards,
ManualMaster Development
Posted 30 May, 2007 16:50:01 Top