Uninstalling Addin leaves menu and toolbar behind

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Uninstalling Addin leaves menu and toolbar behind

nitin c

Hi,

When the my addin is unintalled, the installation process completes successfully but sometimes, the addin itself is not uninstalled - on opening excel I can still see menus and toolbars.

How can i have clean uninstall.
Posted 18 May, 2007 02:29:32 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Nitin.

Do you close Excel before you uninstall the add-in?

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them. Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 18 May, 2007 08:53:22 Top
nitin c

Yes, in fact if I dont close excel, I get a dialog prompt to close excel.
Posted 20 May, 2007 01:39:08 Top
nitin c

Hi Sergey,

In one of you posts you said :

If you use the file registration feature, the DllRegisterServer and DllunregisterServer functions of the adxloader will never be called. Please change the setup in that way to call these functions during the installation process (I think you will find the information about it in the InstallShield help).

Your controls may not be uninstalled from the host application during the uninstallation process.

Do you think something similar is happening in my case?
Posted 20 May, 2007 01:53:24 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Nitin.

If you use InstallShield installer, it may be the case.
Posted 21 May, 2007 05:00:04 Top
Nir Zamir

Hi Sergey,

We're also using InstallShield v11.5, and having some problems after re-installing and upgrading.

Do you have an updated example of how to use InstallShield with AddinExpress?
(is this the one? http://www.add-in-express.com/projects/vs2005issetupexample.zip)

In addition, we'd like to support an upgrade of the add-in (the add-in contacts a web service that checks its version).
how do you suggest to support such an upgrade? Obviously, we'd like to do it as transparent as possible. I believe it's impossible to do it without closing Excel, right? Is there a way to automate closing excel and upgrade the add-in?

Thanks,
Nir.
Posted 15 Oct, 2007 10:40:16 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Nir.

The example above is the installation example, not the updating.
To make a transparent update please try to use the ClickOnce technology.
Of course the host application should be closed if the add-in adds permanent command bars.
Posted 17 Oct, 2007 09:02:40 Top
Nir Zamir

Hi,

We're changing our InstallShield setup to call the adxloader.dll functions instead of using self-registration of adxloader.dll.

We changed it to call "DllRegister" and "DllUnregister" in the custom actions "Install" and "Uninstall".

However, during the installation we get the following error:
The dll call ?Â?Ð?èDllRegister?Â?Ð?é caused a corrupted stack, make sure you have correct number of parameters and the function uses standard calling convention

1. Should we indeed use function calls of DLLs in the custom actions?
2. What are the arguments/return value of DllRegister and DllUnregister?
Posted 22 Oct, 2007 09:40:36 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Nir.

The DllRegister and DllUnregister function have the following signature:

STDAPI DllRegister(HMODULE hInstall)
STDAPI DllUnregister(HMODULE hInstall)

The 'hInstall' parameter is passed by the msi automatically when the installer calls the custom action.
Posted 22 Oct, 2007 12:15:22 Top
Mark Stewart

When I call the dllunregister function from SetupFactory the installer crashes, is this method of de-registration only compatible with the (MSI) Microsoft installer and if so what are my options.
Posted 06 Nov, 2007 05:53:04 Top