Buttons and icons in Excel 2007

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Buttons and icons in Excel 2007

nir zamir

Hi,

I'm trying to create buttons for a custom Ribbon Tab in Excel 2007, and I have some questions:

1. I couldn't create a Split Button or a Button with a large icon. I tried setting the Size property to Large, but no luck...

2. Can I use the same icons both for large and regular buttons? Should the icon be 32x32? If so, can I use this icon for regular (16x16) buttons in Excel 2003 and it will automatically be shrinked?

3. Until now I was using icons with white background and set the ImageTransparentColor property to Transparent(white). When I use these icons in a ribbon button, the background is seen.
Should I change my icons to have a real transparent background? If so, what should I set in ImageTransparentColor?

4. Is it OK to use gif icons?

Thanks,
Nir
Posted 29 Apr, 2007 12:02:20 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Nir.

1. I have just tested large icons on my PC. All works properly. Please check the add-in code.
2. Yes. But I would advide you to add two pages to one icon file: one page with 32x32 and one with 16x16 icons.
3. You should change the icons. Please use any (.ico) editor to change the icons.
4. Yes. But I don't guarantee that Excel will recognize the transparent color.

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 30 Apr, 2007 10:03:39 Top
nir zamir

Thanks Sergey,

1. Can you please describe the steps needed so I didn't miss anything? I still don't have any code...
2. I'm not familiar with 'pages'. Do you have a reference for this issue?
3. Should I keep the ImageTransparentColor property Transparent(white)?
4. Do you have another guide to Ribbons other that the ADX .Net general document (for example that explains the different properties)?

Thanks,
Nir
Posted 30 Apr, 2007 11:01:07 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Nir,

1. I just set the Size property of the ADXRibbonButton component to 'Large'.
2. You just need to create a new icon via an icon editor and you will see how it looks.
3. Yes.
4. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms376612.aspx
Posted 01 May, 2007 17:28:25 Top