RTD Topic updates

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

RTD Topic updates
RTD TOpic Questions 
Guy Mackenzie

I'm a new user of the .NET version and am trying to implement an RTD feed to a real-time data service and am running into a few issues:

1. How can I push Topic updates for specific Topics out to the sheet when these become available from the data service? For example, if I am receiving trade updates from the data service for a particular stock, it is necessary to send these updates out to the sheet as soon as they are received. However, the Connect and RefreshData event handlers do not provide the Topic Ids so I'm not quite sure how I would do this - any suggestions? Since I could be working with many many excel cells with the same Topic signature (e.g. Symbol, Date/Time, Price) I do not want to / or have add-in express examine every cell with the same Topic signature every time there is an update for one of the cells. Even using "checkoldvalue = true" would seem to require an enormous overhead.

2. How can I force a RefreshData once I have new data for specific topics? The ServerStart module of the Microsoft IRTDServer interface provides an UpdateNotify method for this purpose - however, I cannot see anyway to call this method - any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted 19 Apr, 2007 00:43:34 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Guy.

1. The only thing you can do is to set the CheckOldValue property to true and call the UpdateTopics method. Also you can use the Enabled property of a topic to exclude it from the processing.

2. You can use the UpdateTopics method of the RTDServerModule class to update topics.

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them. Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 19 Apr, 2007 09:07:44 Top
Guy Mackenzie

Sergey,

Thanks for your response. A few points:

1. Where can I find documentation on the UpdateTopics and any other methods in the RTDServerModule method?

2. I'm not 100% sure on this but it seems that setting the Enabled= false will disable "all" processing for that Topic. For example, if I had a Topic like Symbol, Date, Closing Price that was being updated multiple times during the day, then I would want to update the prices for some of the symbols but not all of them as new closing prices become available. So setting Enabled=False would disable "all" processing for that Topic and therefore irt wouldn't be appropriate to use this setting. Is that correct?
Posted 19 Apr, 2007 10:04:10 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Guy.

1. The UpdateTopics method works in the same way as the UpdateNotify method of the IRTDUpdateEvent interface. You can read about it in MSDN.
As to other methods and properties, now we are working on the Add-in Express Reference. We will update the documentation in the next public build.
2. Yes, correct.
Posted 20 Apr, 2007 09:34:41 Top