Using Outlook Security AddIn in CDO NT Service (.NET)

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Using Outlook Security AddIn in CDO NT Service (.NET)

Susurs

Hi Everybody,

is it possible to use the Outlook Security AddIn .NET Component within a NT Service using only CDO (without using dhe OOM / OL2003 PIA) ?

I'm planning an NT Service accessing the Exchange Server through CDO (and, if neccessary with exMAPI) and explicitely without referencing/using/calling/whatsoever the Outlook API.

So, this leads to the question, whether the Outlook Security .NET AddIn relies on the OOM or is independet from that.

Kind regards,
Susurs
Posted 26 Jan, 2005 05:59:53 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Susurs,

The Outlook Security .NET component doesn't depend on OOM. There is no need to use OL2003 PIA. I would advice you to use ExtMAPI wrappers for .NET instead, e.g MAPI33.
Posted 26 Jan, 2005 06:14:57 Top
Susurs

Hi Sergey,

could you reason your advice to use an ExtMAPI Wrapper and not CDO? Which drawbacks do you see using CDO?

CDO provides a much higher level access to Exchange Data - perfectly for my purpose; and Mapi's powerful but takes additional effort to learn and to build another object abstraction layer...
Posted 26 Jan, 2005 18:11:23 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Susurs,

The CDO library is a COM wrapper for the MAPI library. It does not provide the full MAPI functionality. Extended MAPI comprehends the straight-forward access of the whole MAPI library but more difficult for understanding. I adviced you Extended MAPI because it was multi-purpose and powerful tool. In any case you can choose what you like.
Posted 27 Jan, 2005 05:20:32 Top