Peculiar Outlook Addin Appointment Problem

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Peculiar Outlook Addin Appointment Problem

Rick Koch

I'm using the VSTO 2007 product with Outlook 2003, and I'm plagued by an unusual problem with appointments.

I have tried to isolate the problem to a small snippet that I can send to you for analysis, but the problem only appears in my full-scale application.

Here is the problem in a nut shell: I have added a user property to an appointment in response to a command button on the appointment inspector. When I go to the category view and add the property from the field chooser, the property is visible on the appointment. However, when I modify or save the appointment or press the inspector button again, the property cannot be detected in code. Attempts to retrieve the property using UserProperties.Find() return null. I have verified that the property is being added with the "true" argument.

If you can think of anything that might be causing this, please let me know. In particular, I am wondering if any other operation I might be doing to the appointment during the initial event might invalidate or corrupt the properties change. Since I have not been able to isolate this, I've been thinking about breaking this project out into a standalone solution so that I can send you the actual code with the problem.

What are your thoughts? Does this sound at all familiar?
Posted 02 Apr, 2007 10:21:17 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Rick.

Do you use Exchange Server?

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them. Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 02 Apr, 2007 13:32:17 Top
Rick Koch

Our environment uses Exch2000 SP3 on Win2000 servers.

My Outlook version is 11.8010.8107 SP2.

In this particular case, my default calendar folder is in a .pst personal folder file on a network share. I have my delivery options set to use the .pst file, and the MAPI namespace returns the .pst calendar path as my default calendar. I have not tried this in any other configuration.

Also, I have noticed that when I open the appointment in the inspector after adding the property, each time I close it I am prompted to save my changes, even though I have not made any changes in that particular inspector. I have not found that accepting the prompt and saving changes makes any difference.

Do you have any idea what this might be? It's driving me nuts, and I'd be grateful if you can tell me what it is. One of my consulting resources has urged me to check with you guys before taking it to Msft.

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Posted 02 Apr, 2007 15:59:02 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Rick.

I think this is the Exchange Server behaviour. I will check it my environment and will let you know about results soon.
Posted 03 Apr, 2007 09:05:54 Top
Rick Koch

Hi Sergey,

If you're unable to duplicate, I'd be happy to send it all as a standalone solution.

Rick
Posted 03 Apr, 2007 10:29:52 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Thank you. Yes, please send me the project.
Posted 03 Apr, 2007 10:35:12 Top
Rick Koch

Where would you like me to send it?
Posted 03 Apr, 2007 17:09:05 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Rick,

Please find our support e-mail in readme.txt located in %InstallDir%\%ProductName%\readme.txt.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 04 Apr, 2007 05:35:47 Top
Rick Koch

I am having trouble reproducing this reliably. It may be related to the use of the Outlook reminder function. When I set, clear or dismiss reminders there's a strong possibility that the visible property will no longer be seen in code.

A couple of times, we've interpreted this as some sort of cache problem, as if two versions of the item exists, one that is displayed in the calendar and one that is seen by the inspector. Does this ring any bells?

I'm more and more doubtful that this is an Add-In Express problem, but I'd value your Outlook experience if you have any idea what's going on.
Posted 05 Apr, 2007 16:33:43 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Rick.

The fact is that Add-in Express doesn't manipulate any properties. Could you please describe the exact steps to reproduce the issue. I will try to help.
Posted 06 Apr, 2007 08:50:41 Top