Serious bug in Addin.Express.Net V3.3 while using ADXOlPropertyPage

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Serious bug in Addin.Express.Net V3.3 while using ADXOlPropertyPage

Thomas Guenther

Hi!

We encountered a serious bug while using ADXOlPropertyPage.

We are using:

Windows XP, SP2
Office 2003 SP2, (we use Outlook V11.6568.6568)
VS2003, .net V1.1
Addin.Express V3.3

We built a property page and integrated it in our addin.
We have some text fields and check boxes on this page.
After the state of the checkbox was changed and the OK button in the Outlook optionspage was clicked all seems to be fine.
But after a second state change outlook crashes completely with error/restart outlook dialog.
No exception will be raised by our addin.

After that i built the property page example provided with addin express v3.3 and could reproduce the behavior.
The example was the only installed addin at this point.

To reproduce this you can try the following:

1.) open the property page 'My Page' from the outlook options
2.) enter some text into the text field named "Caption of the Explorer button"
3.) click OK (this should work)
4.) open the property page again (the previously entered text is showing there)
5.) append some text
6.) click Ok
7.) No we get the error/restart outlook dialog

We need help urgent! Is there any workaround we could integrate while this issue got fixed?
This is a serious show stopper for us if this issue can't be fixed.

Best regards,
Thomas Guenther
Posted 06 Mar, 2007 04:30:17 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Thomas.

I can't reproduce the issue. I use Outlook v11.8118.8122.
Could you please install all latest updates from Windows Update web site?
Please let me know if the problem still exists.

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found
Posted 06 Mar, 2007 08:30:41 Top
Thomas Guenther

Hi Sergey!

In the meanwhile (before you answered me) I set up a new fresh clean system with office 2003 and XP SP2. I did what you suggested and updated the Office 2003 package to the version mentioned above (v11.8118.8122).

I installed your property page example, worked out all steps described in my first post and outlook crashed with error/restart outlook dialog.

I didn't change anything on your code in the example.

I tested this example on

Outlook 2000 SP3 V9.0.0.6627 -> error/restart outlook dialog
Outlook 2003 SP2 V11.8118.8122 -> error/restart outlook dialog
Outlook 2007 No SP V12.0.4518.1014 -> seems to work

Further I tested the example on 3 different machines with Outlook 2003 (because this is our target version) and on all machines the example addin fails with the error/restart outlook dialog.

I don't no what to do now, i really stuck and i'm very frustated...:-(

Thanx for help,

Best regards,
Thomas
Posted 06 Mar, 2007 09:30:13 Top
Thomas Guenther

Hi Sergey!

I switched back to AddinExpress V2.8 and outlook crashed there too after installing our addin and your example addin.

After some further testing i think i identified the problem:

Before migrating from AddinExpress .Net V2.8 to V3.3 we used the 'PageProgID' of the Addin properties to identify our property page. Because i didn't see this property in Addinexpress v3.3 i switchetd to 'PageType' and this causes Outlook to crash after some changes in the text fields.

Maybe i have some 'PageProgID'-junk in my optionpage i should remove when using the 'PageType'-property???

The essence is AddinExpress v2.8 is working with 'PageProgID'-preoperty and not with 'PageType'; AddinExpress v3.3 is not working with 'PageType'.

Is it possible to 'reintegrate' the 'PageProgID'-preoperty into v3.3 into the next public build? For so long we have to deal with v2.8 because our customer want's our addin now!!!;-)

I use the adxloader for the project. If i set the Register-property to 'vsdrpCOM' for the primary output (as suggested if using property pages, are i'm right?)i can't see my option page in outlook.

Best regards,
Thomas
Posted 06 Mar, 2007 12:59:29 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Thomas, you can use the 'PageProgID' property in Add-in Express v3.3. You just need to set it manually in the code of the AddInitialize event handler.

I use the adxloader for the project. If i set the Register-property to 'vsdrpCOM' for the primary output (as suggested if using property pages, are i'm right?)i can't see my option page in outlook.

If you use the latest version of the adxloader.dll file, you don't need to use the Register property at all. Please try the following example:
http://www.add-in-express.com/projects/oldfashionproppage.zip

P.S. I still can't reproduce the issue. Do you have only one version of Outlook installed on your PC?
Posted 07 Mar, 2007 06:38:37 Top
Thomas Guenther

Hi Sergey!

Thanx for your help. I will try your suggestion.

Yes. I have only one version of outlook installed on my PC.

I tested it yesterday on a PC never had any Outlook Plugins installed and the problem persists on this PC.

I completly deinstalled Addin.Express, removed what i found from registry and installed it again. But the problem was not gone away.

I built a complete new test project with an option page in outlook standard options and folder properties only with a simple text field, chosen the property page in the PageType-Combo box, added the Apply event handler for the property page and filled in an 'OnStatusChange()'.
After showing the property page, entering some data into the text field, clicking OK, closing it, reopen it, append some text (the old text was still there) clicking OK again and outlook crashed.

I read in one of the posts here that next week a public build will be published?! Maybe the problem is solved then.

For the meanwhile we switched back to V2.8 of Addin.Express .Net, because our customer would have a test session today.

Maybe i can send you my little test project?

Ciao,
Thomas
Posted 07 Mar, 2007 10:44:08 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Thomas, I am not sure the problem will be fixed because I can't reproduce it on my PC. Please send me your project. I will test it.
Posted 07 Mar, 2007 11:27:06 Top
Thomas Guenther

Hi Sergey!

I have just reinstalled Addin Express .Net V3.3 and implemented your suggestion to add the PageProgID to the Addin initialize handler instead of setting the PageType property and it works now.

Nevertheless i will send you my little test project because the PageProgID is deprecated and so can be only a workaround for a while.

How can i send you my little test project?

Ciao,
Thomas
Posted 07 Mar, 2007 11:44:24 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Thomas, I have just sent you an email. Please check your inbox.
Posted 07 Mar, 2007 12:20:08 Top
Thomas Guenther

Hi Sergey!

Thanx for the mail. I'll send you the project tomorrow, because i go to home now.

Ciao,
Thomas
Posted 07 Mar, 2007 12:26:05 Top