Outlook add-in stopped working

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook add-in stopped working
Does not run or load in the debugger but Outlook says it's there. 
Gene Golovchinsky

Hi

Until this afternoon, my add-in was working beautifully. When I tried to run it this evening (after creating some additional code), it failed to run. It compiles just fine & registers successfully. Outlook 2003 reports that the add-in is there. But when I run Outlook (either directly or through the VS 2005 debugger), the add-in does not run. In the debugger, the debug toolbar appears briefly, and then disappears; Outlook continues to run.

I looked at some of the other topics related to the add-in failing to run, but didn't see anything like my situation: I did not change the constructor of the add-in, and I did not update the ADX version. (I have Add-in Express 2007 for .NET; I am using .NET 2.0.)

What am I missing?

Sorry for yet another seemingly newby question...

Gene
Posted 23 Feb, 2007 02:21:49 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Gene,
do you see the add-in in the COM Add-ins dialog in Outlook? Is it checked in the dialog?

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 23 Feb, 2007 13:35:06 Top
Gene Golovchinsky

Yes, I see it in the COM Add-ins dialog. And no, it is not in the disabled items.

Thanks,

Gene
Posted 23 Feb, 2007 13:41:42 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Gene, please review the add-in code/design. Probably you have changed some properties which prevent the toolbar from working properly.
You can also send me the add-in code. I will test it on my PC.
Posted 23 Feb, 2007 14:27:54 Top
Gene Golovchinsky

Sergey,

Thanks for the quick response. Is there a systematic way to determine which properties affect the loading of the add-in? (It would take some time to strip out the parts of my code that aren't readily portable, so before I burden you with my stuff, I would like to exhaust the options on my end.)

For example, do I look at properties on adxOlFormsManager, on all the forms that it manages, on the ADXOlInspectorCommandBar, or in its controls?

I am unclear on which sorts of changes cause the add-in to fail to run. I don't see any messages in the output/Debug window, and stepping into the code with F11 doesn't work.

Thanks again,

Gene
Posted 23 Feb, 2007 14:33:01 Top
Gene Golovchinsky

More info:

I changed the name of the add-in, and removed two of three controls in the toolbar. (I didn't need them any more, anyway.) The add-in now loaded and ran.

However, I cannot seem to make any more changes to it: the version that runs does not seem to reflect the changes I make to the source code. I've tried registering, unregistering, removing the add-in from the outlook COM Add-ins dialog. Nothing helps.

Also, the AddinModule property in my region (AddinExpress.OL.ADXOlForm subclass) retrieves the correct value after I first load the addin. If I quit outlook and restart, the AddinModule property returns null, and my region is not shown. If I uncheck the addin in the COM Add-ins dialog, close the dialog, reopen it, and check the box corresponding to my addin in the dialog, then the correct value for AddinModule is available to my region form, and the form appears in the display.

Is any of this behavior indicative of a known situation?

Thanks,

Gene
Posted 23 Feb, 2007 17:18:37 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Gene.

A bit magic situation.
Have you ever installed the add-in using the .msi installer on your PC?
If so, please check if the add-in is already installed. It can cause the issues.
Posted 24 Feb, 2007 19:15:48 Top
Fedor Shihantsov

Hi Gene.

How do you check the ADXOlForm.AddinModule property when this property returns null?
Posted 26 Feb, 2007 04:11:16 Top
Gene Golovchinsky

At one point, I rebooted the machine & things started working again for a while. I finally narrowed the problem down to the fact that the Outlook instance was not being unloaded when I used the close box in the title bar. When I closed it through the File>Exit menu, and restarted, the new add-in version was executed. This works with and without the debugger. On a related note, however, I am getting a build warning on the setup project that says:

Unable to create registration information for file named 'FXPAL.USE.Outlook.Scheduler.tlb'

Where the TLB file corresponds to my addin. Any idea what that's about?

Fedor Shihantsov wrote:
How do you check the ADXOlForm.AddinModule property when this property returns null?

This continues to happen as follows:
1. I open an inspector from the calendar view;
2. Add-in loads my region (ADXOlForm);
3. My region has a non-null AddinModule property
4. I close the inspector
5. I Open a new inspector
6. My region now has a null AddinModule property.

Thanks!

Gene
Posted 26 Feb, 2007 14:17:57 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Gene.

Please exclude the .tlb file from the setup project. You don't need it.
Posted 26 Feb, 2007 15:20:09 Top