Feature request: adxloader.log location

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Feature request: adxloader.log location

Esteban Astudillo

Hi,

Is it possible to change the location of the adxloader.log file? I couldn't find an option in Visual Studio for it and the adxloader.dll.manifest file only allows me to say Yes or Not use it.

The reason for this is because I'm getting questions from my users noticing the file created under "My Documents\Add-in Express". They get suspicious because as far as they know they haven't installed any programs with that name. Some of them even wanted to complain about possible spyware products that I was distributing with my add-in. This is an extreme case of course, but I think it shows my point. In fact, I had to avoid creating the log file for new installations just because of this.

The "My Document" folder is too visible and it should be treated as the exclusive place where users store their files. An application that wants to store information for each user should write content to one of the "Application Data" folders in Windows. For example, "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data" (with Owner being the user id of the currently logged in user), which you can get in .Net using "System.Environment.SpecialFolder.ApplicationData".

If it's not possible to specify the location of the LOG file at least the "Add-in Express" folder should be created in this hidden special folder.

Esteban
Posted 22 Feb, 2007 16:37:51 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Esteban.

To disable the adxloader.log file you just need to set the 'generateLogFile' attribute to 'false' in the adxloader.dll.manifest file.

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 23 Feb, 2007 13:21:51 Top
Esteban Astudillo

Hi Sergey,

Yes, I know that.

What about its location, though? I still want to use the log, but I want to avoid creating it in the "My Documents" folder as I explained in previous post.

Any chances of having something like this sometime soon?

Esteban
Posted 23 Feb, 2007 13:27:14 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Esteban, the current version of Add-in Express doesn't support changing of the adxloader.log file location. I will add this possibility in the next versions of our product.
Posted 23 Feb, 2007 13:46:51 Top
Esteban Astudillo

That's good, thank you Sergey

As a temporary solution, would you point me to where in the ADX source code you set this location? I can change it temporarily there for now. I'm assuming that the Premium subscribers have this portion of the source code available, right?

Thanks,
Esteban

Posted 23 Feb, 2007 13:57:57 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Esteban,
as per our license you can't rebuild the source code for commercial purposes. So please wait a little until I change it myself.

Posted 23 Feb, 2007 14:19:26 Top