How to *cause* my Add-In to be disabled by Outlook (for testing)?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

How to *cause* my Add-In to be disabled by Outlook (for testing)?
How to *cause* my Add-In to be disabled by Outlook? 
d henderson

A weird request:

My environment: ADX.NET with MS Visual Studio 2005. Coding in VB.Net.

For testing purposes. I need a sample Add-In proj that causes (an error causing) Outlook to disable the add-in, making an entry for it appear in Help->About->Disable items.

I have been unable to do this myself. Can you please provide a simple project or tell me how to absolutely cause this to happen?

Thanks
Posted 19 Feb, 2007 16:48:45 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi D.

You can try to configure Outlook to load the .NET Framework v1.1 using the outlook.exe.config file. I am not sure but it may help.

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 20 Feb, 2007 07:23:50 Top
David Ing

If Outlook detects that an Add-In fails to start up (or has unhandled errors) it sets a registry key to deactivate it here:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Resiliency\DisabledItems

The key value is a hash of your prog id (I think, it could be random). If you cause you add-in to fail, i.e. set a breakpoint and not return, and then answer 'Yes' to Outlook's 'Do you want to disable this add-in', then you can save the key to a file (that goes to the above path) and reuse it for 'de-activated' testing.

Posted 20 Feb, 2007 16:30:13 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi David.

Thank you for your help.
Posted 21 Feb, 2007 09:39:36 Top