Version-neutral Office PIAs

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Version-neutral Office PIAs

Esteban Astudillo

Hi,

What exactly are the "version-neutral" Office PIAs introduced with ADX 3.x?

Given the name I was expecting a set of ADX objects that would encapsulate the differences between Office versions, but it seems that it rather is just the Office 2000 version of the PIAs. Is this correct?

There are many properties missing in this version-neutral PIAs. For example, MAPIFolder.CurrentFolder does not have a FolderPath property, which I used to have available when using the Office 2003 PIAs. Another missing property, for example, is Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderJunk.

What can I expect from these version-neutral PIAs? Is there any difference with just using Office 2000 PIAs? What is the advantage?

Thanks,
Esteban
Posted 16 Feb, 2007 18:00:52 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Esteban.

The 'version-neutral' Office PIAs are just PIAs for Office 2000.
They work correctly in Office 2000, XP, 2003 and 2007. To use version-specific features of Office applications you need to use the late binding (please see the InvokeMember method of the System.Type class in MSDN).

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 19 Feb, 2007 09:56:35 Top
Esteban Astudillo

Hi Sergey,

Yes, that's what I thought. I did create a "wrapper" class for the PIAs that does exactly what you suggested (late binding calls).

The only reason I asked is because I thought you had done the same thing and I wanted to take advantage of that. All good then.

Thanks anyway

Esteban
Posted 19 Feb, 2007 10:15:43 Top