Feature Request: Delay loading the addin

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Feature Request: Delay loading the addin

Esteban Astudillo

Hi

[Congratulations on getting the new 3.3 version]

I'm still worried about how long it takes to load my .Net based addin. As Sergey has said before in these Forums, the problem seems mainly be caused by the time Outlook needs to load the .Net framework, which makes it something very difficult to tackle.

With that in mind I was thinking if the adxloader shim could delay a bit loading my addin. Maybe a new option in the manifest file, for example? It could set a timer and trigger the loading action only in the timer's event handler.

Evidently in the end this will cause the addin to take even longer to load. However, I'm more interested in giving the user immediate feedback than provide them my functionality. You know when you don't have a .Net-based COM Addin Outlook launches very fast and the user gets control immediately.

I have minimized my initialization routines to the maximum (they actually do very little now) to the point that's is almost nothing, but even then my users complain about how long Outlook takes to load.

In my specific case it doesn't really matter if Outlook does not have my addin functionality fully loaded for the first few seconds. However, I do realize that if there are other ADX-based COM Addins installed in the computer this could be a problem for those other addins. In that case, it would be fine with me that adxloader defaults to the minimum delay with 0 (none) being the default.

Think about it or if you can provide alternatives on how to improve this situation in general will be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Esteban
Posted 16 Feb, 2007 15:36:29 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Esteban.

I can send you an Add-in Express based add-in written in Delphi if you wish. You could compare the add-in with the same one but written in C#.
Please tell me what the add-in should do and I will send you the installer.

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 19 Feb, 2007 09:32:20 Top
Esteban Astudillo

Hi Sergey,

I'm not sure what I would do/prove with the Delphi-based add-in you offer. Could you explain a little? (Maybe you just want to provide me an add-in to compare the loading times? If that's the case, I already have something like that)

I'm wondering if you understand what I'm proposing.

My main assumption here is that the adxloader shim is written in C++ or another unmanaged language, so that when Outlook loads the add-in it won't force the .Net framework to load for a little while (assuming this is the only add-in installed in Outlook using .Net). Is it possible?

Let me know and I can provide more details.

Thanks
Esteban
Posted 19 Feb, 2007 10:22:34 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Esteban, I am afraid it is not possible. The loader will never work in this way.
Posted 19 Feb, 2007 10:52:26 Top
Esteban Astudillo

I see. Thank you anyway for your time Sergey

Cheers!
Esteban
Posted 19 Feb, 2007 11:01:29 Top