Add-in Express for Visual Studio 7.1 - it doesn't work at all

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in Express for Visual Studio 7.1 - it doesn't work at all

Artur Nowocin

Hi,

I'm about to start working with Add-in Express .NET in my company, but it doesn't work. We're using Microsoft Office 2003. When I register and build examplary project provided with Add-in Express .NET it doesn't show any new CommandBar. But when I do my project with contains Shim project office programm for which I registered Add-in project won't start. I got error and e.g. MS Word ask to disable it. Then I have in Disabled Items window "Addin: someaddin(someaddinshim.dll)" and when I enable it I assume you already know what happens. In few minuts I'll try to compile some project on another computer and see if it works.

Edit: Add-in Express work perfectly on other computer. I'm a bit confused right now.
Posted 15 Feb, 2007 08:37:47 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Artur.

Please check if you have other add-ins written for .NET 2.0 running at the same time. What version of the Add-in Express product do you use?

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them. Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 15 Feb, 2007 18:30:28 Top
Artur Nowocin

Hi,

I reinstalled MS Office and it works now.

Thanks for reply.
Posted 16 Feb, 2007 03:52:17 Top
Artur Nowocin

My Add-in Express add-ins stopped working. It's weird because eveything was fine and I got to work the next day, started MS Word and got error window. What's even "funnier" one adding kinda "works". But not exactly. There is a floating menu with a button. But the buttons doens't do anything, even though it's suppost to do something. It has event for click which worked before, but now it's just not functioning button that shows in MS Excel even though MS Excel disabled it - I have in Disable Items "Addin: myfirst project(myfistprojectshim.dll)". So there are to questions. Firstly, why I still have the button and the menu in MS Excel even though it's disabled and secondly, what's wrong.
I'm using Visual Studio 7.1 (because my Add-in Express version doesn't support VS 2005) with MS Office 2003.

While writing this post I enabled this add-in,then unregistered it from VS 2003 and it disappeared - so this I good thing. But I still don't have any clue why add-ins written with Add-in Express don't work for me. The only thing that I did since writting my add-ins for the first time was installing templates for Visual Studio, because they disappread. I used "devenv /installvstemplates" command. I have .NET Framwork 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 installed.

Edit: I'll keep looking up this forum for any answer. I found this http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=868, but it doesn't work either. I mean Office fix, 'cause I don't new fixes for VS 2005, right?

Edit2: My addin for MS Word wasn't disabled by MS Word, it's visible,but as I remember one of the buttons I added in this project adds or I should say used to add new button at runtime.

Edit3: OK I investigated this addin for Word and let say I was some kind of garbage that left. I re-registered this addin and yep it doesn't work either. I made it over wordmenu example found on this forum and this project doesn't include shim so that's why I didn't get any error message. When there's no shim addins simply don't work.

I've got another question. I was looking through my addin projects and noticed that some of them don't have design view for AddinModul.cs. Because I was using ADX COM Add-in template I guess all of my projects had design view. What can be wrong?

Edit4: I tried something else. I just build my add-in project and tried to load *.dll through COM Add-Ins, but when I choose MyFirstProject.dll it says that it is not a valid office Add-in.

One more thing. I don't know if it's important, but I added Microsoft Office XP Primary Interop Assemblies to GAC using gacuitil -i command in Visual Studio .NET Command Prompt
Posted 22 Feb, 2007 03:38:22 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Artur.

Firstly, why I still have the button and the menu in MS Excel even though it's disabled and secondly, what's wrong.

The button appears because the Temporary property of your command bar and button is set to 'false' in the add-in code.

I'm using Visual Studio 7.1 (because my Add-in Express version doesn't support VS 2005) with MS Office 2003.

What do you mean 'because my Add-in Express version doesn't support VS 2005'? What version of Add-in Express do you use?

Edit: I'll keep looking up this forum for any answer. I found this http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=868, but it doesn't work either. I mean Office fix, 'cause I don't new fixes for VS 2005, right?

Please unregister the add-in and remove the C++ shim from the project.
Then read the following article that describes on how you can migrate from the shim to loader:
http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2006/08/04/shim-loader-mscoree/
If you face the same issue using the loader, please send me the adxloader.log file (is it located in the '.\My Documents\Add-in Express' directory). I will try to help.

Edit3: OK I investigated this addin for Word and let say I was some kind of garbage that left. I re-registered this addin and yep it doesn't work either. I made it over wordmenu example found on this forum and this project doesn't include shim so that's why I didn't get any error message. When there's no shim addins simply don't work.

It seems to me, you use a very old version of Add-in Express.
Could you please upgrade the product.
http://www.add-in-express.com/add-in-net/pricing.php

Edit4: I tried something else. I just build my add-in project and tried to load *.dll through COM Add-Ins, but when I choose MyFirstProject.dll it says that it is not a valid office Add-in.

This option doesn't work for managed add-ins.

Posted 22 Feb, 2007 16:17:14 Top
Artur Nowocin

I'm using Add-in Express 2.2 Build 1751 so it works up to with Visual Studio 7.1. But the thing is for some time addins written in Add-in Express worked even on my computer and I think our version of Add-in Express should work with Office 2003.
Other addins not written with Add-in Express work perfectly.

It seems to me, you use a very old version of Add-in Express.
Could you please upgrade the product.
http://www.add-in-express.com/add-in-net/pricing.php

We are upgrading Add-in Express in few days, but I'm really concerned with the problm I have. It doesn't occur on one of the other computers were we have. The computer have .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 and Visual Studio 2003 & 2005 are installed. What's more I was installing VS2003 and Office 2003 on it just to check if the problem will occur.

Please unregister the add-in and remove the C++ shim from the project.
Then read the following article that describes on how you can migrate from the shim to loader:
http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2006/08/04/shim-loader-mscoree/

I've read the article and it says Loader is available from 2.7 version so unfortunetely I don't have it.

Eventaully I'll reinstall Office. Last time it help, but I can't do it all the time. It'd be much better if I've found the reason why Add-in Express addins don't work for me.

Edit: This time reinstallation of Office didn't help.

When I register ADX Add-in for Excel with shim do I have subkey called projectNameShim.Proxy under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/Excel/AddIns or at least I'm aware only of this entry. Does VS make any other entries when I Register ADX Projects?
Posted 23 Feb, 2007 02:10:33 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Artur.

We are upgrading Add-in Express in few days, but I'm really concerned with the problm I have. It doesn't occur on one of the other computers were we have. The computer have .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 and Visual Studio 2003 & 2005 are installed. What's more I was installing VS2003 and Office 2003 on it just to check if the problem will occur.

If you install the 'Shared add-in support update for .NET Framework 2.0' update, you will get the same problem.

When I register ADX Add-in for Excel with shim do I have subkey called projectNameShim.Proxy under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/Excel/AddIns or at least I'm aware only of this entry

Yes, this is the correct entry.

Does VS make any other entries when I Register ADX Projects?

You can find all entries using the Find dialog of the regedit.exe tool. Just type in the name of the add-in assembly in the dialog.
Posted 23 Feb, 2007 09:25:46 Top
Artur Nowocin

Sergey Grischenko wrote:
If you install the 'Shared add-in support update for .NET Framework 2.0' update, you will get the same problem.

So that means if I uninstall it from my machine my problem should disappear. But it didn't. Still have the problem.
Posted 26 Feb, 2007 03:05:05 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Artur, it is not possible to uninstall this update completely.
Posted 26 Feb, 2007 07:59:29 Top
Artur Nowocin

I see, but I had this problem priory too installing this update. As I wrote I installed this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908002 update after the problem had occurred. So maybe the fix ain't the cause of my problems at all.
I'll restore system to check if windows automaticly updates .NET 2.0, but I doubt it.
Posted 26 Feb, 2007 08:53:28 Top