Running multiple Add-ins

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Running multiple Add-ins

Todd Carlson

Hello,
I am currently upgrading one of our add-ins to the latest 3.2 build. When compiling I am receiving a warning that the ShimProgID is deprecated followed by a message to switch to using adxloader.

I understand what to do with this, the problem I have is that we have multiple products using ADX. Product 1 uses the adxloader and Product 2 has been using a C++ shim. We had done this because an end user may have one or both of the products installed at the same time. When both products were set to use the adxloader only the last one registered would function.

Is there some way to use adxloader without destroying the registration of a previously loaded addin?

Thanks,
Todd
Posted 09 Feb, 2007 08:38:58 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Todd.

The ADX loader doesn't depend on the number of COM add-ins registered on the PC. Moreover it is possible to run several COM add-ins, RTD servers and smart tags with one loader in the same application directory.
Please read the following article that will help you to migrate form the shim to loader:
http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2006/08/04/shim-loader-mscoree/

P.S. I suppose you've copied a new version of the loader from the Add-in Express installation directory to the Loader subdirectory of the add-in project.

Posted 09 Feb, 2007 17:32:55 Top
Todd Carlson

Sergey,
Thank you. The problem I am having is that the add-ins are not in the same assembly. With two different products, if a customer installs both we would have:

c:\product1\adxloader.dll / product1-assembly.dll
-and-
c:\product2\adxloader.dll / product2-assembly.dll

When using adxloader only the last product installed will have the registry entries for adxloader (in my tests).

How do I avoid this situation?

Todd
Posted 12 Feb, 2007 08:26:59 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Todd.

The fact is that the 'adxloader.dll' is not registered at all. This is just an 'inproc server'. I think the cause of the issue is in the assemblies. Did you set different GUIDs for the addinmodules ?

Posted 12 Feb, 2007 09:16:19 Top
Todd Carlson

Sergey,
It appears to be working now. I had tested this configuration with a previous build of ADX (2.7 I think) and it did not work. With the 3.2 build it does work.

Thank you,
Todd
Posted 12 Feb, 2007 09:46:07 Top