AdxCommandBarDropDownList exceptions

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

AdxCommandBarDropDownList exceptions
exception handling 
Kevin Curry

Arial

this.MyDropDown = new AddinExpress.MSO.ADXCommandBarDropDownList(this.components);

Arial

for (int i = 0; i < 3; ++i)
{
MyDropDown.Items.Add("test" + System.Convert.ToString(i));
}

Arial

- MyDropDown { [AddinExpress.MSO.ADXCommandBarDropDownList]} AddinExpress.MSO.ADXCommandBarDropDownList
+ base { [AddinExpress.MSO.ADXCommandBarDropDownList]} AddinExpress.MSO.ADXCustomCommandBarComboBox {AddinExpress.MSO.ADXCommandBarDropDownList}
+ DropDownLines 'MyDropDown.DropDownLines' threw an exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' int {System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException}
+ DropDownWidth 'MyDropDown.DropDownWidth' threw an exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' int {System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException}
+ Items {AddinExpress.MSO.ADXStringCollection} AddinExpress.MSO.ADXStringCollection
+ ListCount 'MyDropDown.ListCount' threw an exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' int {System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException}
+ ListHeaderCount 'MyDropDown.ListHeaderCount' threw an exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' int {System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException}
+ ListIndex 'MyDropDown.ListIndex' threw an exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' int {System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException}
+ Text 'MyDropDown.Text' threw an exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' string {System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException}

Arial
Posted 03 Jan, 2007 11:35:53 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Kevin.

What Office application do you develop the add-in for?
Where is the method called from? Is it called from an event handler?

To add a .NET control to the Office command bar you need to use the 'Toolbar Controls for Microsoft Office' product.
Please visit the following webpage:
http://www.add-in-express.com/office-toolbar-controls/

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 03 Jan, 2007 12:23:43 Top
Kevin Curry

I'm creating an AdxCommandBar for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint

this.SupportedApps = ((AddinExpress.MSO.ADXOfficeHostApp)(((AddinExpress.MSO.ADXOfficeHostApp.ohaExcel | AddinExpress.MSO.ADXOfficeHostApp.ohaWord) | AddinExpress.MSO.ADXOfficeHostApp.ohaPowerPoint)));

The command bar has 4 buttons and a drop-down. The test method I pasted earlier is called from an event handler on one of the buttons (i.e., click a button, call a method to populate the drop-down).

I'm using Add-In Express .Net. Do I need another product as well? Pretty much everything else works except occasionally the Add-In doesn't register properly. I've been able to get everything to work with Add-In Express .Net, just not consistently.
Posted 03 Jan, 2007 12:42:51 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Kevin, are you sure that the Enabled property of the drop down list is True when you add new items to the collection?
Posted 04 Jan, 2007 08:38:45 Top
Kevin Curry

Sergey,

It wasn't! What a rookie mistake.

Sergey, your customer service is amazing. I might have never pulled that out of the documentation. Although I did learn a few things reading it. I retract my question about benefits - they are all clearer to me now.

FYI, the reason it worked occasionally was due to sequences of button events that sometimes enabled the drop down and sometimes disabled it, depending on the context of the event.

Problem solved!

Thank you,
Kevin
Posted 04 Jan, 2007 10:00:22 Top