adxloader stalls during uninstall...

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

adxloader stalls during uninstall...
Uninstallation hangups... 
Jeff Gilbert

I'm experienceing a problem where during uninstallation of my toolbar setup the installer will hang. I look at the Task MGR and I see Outlook running in the background. If I kill Outlook's process the uninstallation process proceeds. It's like Outlook is choking or hanging or something. Is there anything I can do to minimize this issue?
I'm using the latest version of the AddInExpress and the adxloader setup project. Other than this issue everything is working GREAT!

Would there be a way to add a timeout into the loader, so it kills the Outlook process after 60 or 90 seconds? When I'm running across this issue it will just hang until I manually kill the Outlook process. The frustration comes because we have a lot of technilogically challeged users... little issues like this generate support calls.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Jeff
Posted 22 Dec, 2006 22:16:47 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Jeff.

What version of Outlook do you use?
Do you have other add-ins running in Outlook? If so, please try to disable them and test the add-in again.

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.
Posted 23 Dec, 2006 06:09:54 Top
Jeff Gilbert

The versions of Outlook aren't consistant. I'm getting it on Outlook 2002 and 2003 machines, I'm sure of. I believe it's the same with the OS, Win2000 and XP machines. I'll try to pay more attention to what Addins these systems have. But, it seems that it's quite a mix of systems and I assume a mix of addins as well.
Posted 30 Dec, 2006 15:07:35 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Jeff.

I will try to reproduce this issue on my PC. Please let me know if the issue also appears without any working add-ins.
Posted 01 Jan, 2007 21:35:08 Top
Jeff Gilbert

Part of the problem with this issue is that it only seems to be happening on every tenth PC or so. So, it makes it hard to reproduce. We've got several hundred (about 700) installation sites with an average of 3 systems at each location. So, the 1 in 10 starts adding up to alot of support issues.

The prevailing fix is when it hangs we open Task Manager and kill the Outlook process. After that the installation appears to finish properly.

My install package is setup like this:
I have a WISE install package that installs 3 MSI's. Two for my main product and one for the Toolbar. The toolbar MSI is generated from the Setup project created when you create a new Toolbar solution in VB.NET 2003. Other than this one issue everything is working great.

Would there be any way to add an optional property or setting that would instruct the ADX stuff to kill itself or the Outlook process after a provided number of seconds? I'm just looking for a way to alleviate the minor crisis this causes for our support environment.

Thanks,
Jeff
Posted 03 Jan, 2007 14:54:01 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Jeff, you can use the AfterUninstallControls event of the addinmodule to kill Outlook process if it is needed. However this is a bad solution.

Can you please investigate in what way problematic PCs differ from others?
Are you able to develop the code that creates an instance of Outlook and then closes it? You could test it on the PCs in order to find the cause of Outlook hanging.
Posted 04 Jan, 2007 09:11:09 Top