Advice on Accessibility

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Advice on Accessibility

Subscribe
Rhys Hicks

Hello,

We are looking for some advice on improving accessibility in some of our applications that use the Add-In Express taskpanes.

We want to ensure our applications are accessible to users with diverse needs (for example users with visual impairment who may use a screenreader like the Windows NArrator or a bought product like NVDA or JAWS). Do you have any information, documentation or how-tos to ensure the applications we build are accessible and work well with accessibility tools?

Some of the areas we want to support is for screenreaders or enabling High Contrast mode (within the windows accessibility settings),

Any informantion is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Posted 29 Jan, 2024 13:11:21 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Rhys,

I'm sorry for the delay; I was trying to talk to someone here on your topic. Turned out this will only be possible in two weeks. Could you please wait for any news from us? I remember about you and your questions.

Regards from Poland (GMT+1),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 31 Jan, 2024 13:50:55 Top
Rhys Hicks

Hi Andrei,

No problem thank you for getting back to me. Yes very much happy to wait if there is a more accurate answer/suggestions.

All the best.
Posted 31 Jan, 2024 15:40:17 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Rhys,

There are two points.

1. Your controls constituting the content of the pane. All standard controls for Windows desktop application that Visual Studio provides (including WPF) do support Accessibility. If you use other controls, you should talk with your vendor. If you use custom controls and they are based on standard controls, they do support Accessibility. If you implement custom controls yourself, you would need to implement UI Automation; see https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winauto/windows-automation-api-portal.

2. Controls of the Add-in Express region (buttons on the header and splitter, and those shown in the minimize mode) do not support Accessibility.

Regards from Poland (GMT+1),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Feb, 2024 10:30:50 Top