Call functions in add-in from VBA

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Call functions in add-in from VBA

Subscribe
Steve Weixel

I have an addin, where I was using a very old version (7.2). I recently upgraded to the latest (10.2) and one key apsect no longer works. From VBA (in Excel), I was getting the proxy object from COMAddIn.Object and was able to call functions in my actual addin. That no longer works, I get "Object doesn't support this property or method". How can I forward calls to my addin?
Posted 05 Jan, 2024 16:32:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Steve,

Try calling a public property of method declared on the add-in module. Use the following code path:

ExcelApp.COMAddins.Item(strMyComAddinProgId).Object.MyPublicPropertyOrMethod.

1. strMyComAddinProgId - see the ProgId attribute of your add-in module.
2. MyPublicPropertyOrMethod is called via late binding (see System.Type.InvokeMember in MSDN or search through our forums)

See also http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2010/07/02/standalone-application-addin-communicate/.

Regards from Poland (GMT+1),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 08 Jan, 2024 16:28:18 Top
Steve Weixel

Sorry I've been super busy and unable to get back to this until now. What you showed me is what I've already been doing. It turns out when I reorganized my code to work with the new version, the public functions I had been calling were no longer on my object. Anyway, it works now, thanks!
Posted 15 Mar, 2024 04:58:00 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Steve,

No problem about being busy: we do understand such situations and sometimes we are super busy ourselves.

Regards from Poland (GMT+1),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 15 Mar, 2024 08:50:27 Top