Add-in Express Tab not loading in Excel - while Debugging from Visual Studio 2022

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in Express Tab not loading in Excel - while Debugging from Visual Studio 2022

Hemanth Gops

Hi,

we've started facing issues with Add-In Express plugin to Excel "all of a sudden"- in Debug mode.

PROBLEM: While we try to debug "Add-In Express for Excel" through Visual Studio-2022, it's not showing up on Excel Ribbon. It does show up in COM Add-ins, but, even though we select/check in COM-Addins, that doesn't show up in excel ribbon.

SYSTEM/PLATFORM: WINDOWS 10; VISUAL STUDIO 2022 w/ VSTO; Add-In Express for 2022

MORE DETAILS: This was working till couple of days back and it broke all of a sudden. I MUST MENTION, this Add-In tab loads without any issues in MS-WORD, but, not in EXCEL. Following troubleshooting steps were performed:

> Cleaned Registry multiple times and unregistered/registered from Visual Studio multiple times (in all these attempts, it works perfectly fine with only MS-WORD, not EXCEL.

> Cleaned up Visual Studio solution multiple times and tried rebuilding.

> Uninstalled MS Office and re-installed it, but of not any improvement.

Can any one pls. suggest, how to get this fixed. I couldn't get my hands around it - WHY ONLY EXCEL IS HAVING THIS ISSUE.

Pls. help.

Thanks,
Hemanth
Posted 03 Feb, 2023 10:59:14 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Hemanth,

I assume the issue only occurs in when you debug the add-in. Please confirm.

An add-in must be registered for Office to be able to find the add-in files in the add-in's folder and load them. That is, if you change the path - say by switching between Release and Debug configurations - you can get multiple issues all related to changing that path. Say, if I register the add-in in the Release configuration and then switch to the Debug configuration, my debug files won't be loaded at all.

If the add-in is installed, uninstall it. Then check what Office applications the add-in supports^ see the SupportedApps property of the add-in module. From your description it follows that that property mentions Word and Excel. If so, unregister the add-in from the IDE. If not, set that property to reflect the supported applications - if you are changing that or changed that property recently, set it to the previously supported applications - and unregister the project from the IDE.

Now, get the value of the GUID attribute - see your add-in module, start regedit.exe and search the GUID. When locating such a key, check its default value. This value points to adxloader.dll or adxloader64.dll; note the path to that file - whether this path coincides with the path to your project's adx loader DLLs? To get some help with this search, check the info we provide in section Locating COM add-ins in the registry; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Regards from Poland (GMT+1),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 06 Feb, 2023 11:23:59 Top
Hemanth Gops

Thank you for the response Andrei...

yes, the problem is limited to "while debugging".

I did try these steps, but, sorry to say - None of these worked for me. It still remain "working while debugging with Visual Studio debugger pointing to WORK.EXE, but not working when pointing to EXCEL.EXE".

While debugging, when the EXCEL application opens, I see plugin part of COM Plugins, but, despite "selecting my add-in" and applying, that won't retain. I even tried explicitly browsing the dll, but, that doesn't work either. But, same one, when we install "works fine".

Appreciate any further suggestions/inputs.

Thanks,
Hemanth
Posted 10 Feb, 2023 10:01:25 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Hemanth,

I suggest that you unregister your add-in. I assume this leaves some registry keys non deleted. From these keys you may get the path where the add-in is registered. Search the registry as suggested in my previous post.

Regards from Poland (GMT+1),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 10 Feb, 2023 14:59:11 Top