adxOutlookEvents_ItemSend not firing when sending a meeting invite from a shared calendar.

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

adxOutlookEvents_ItemSend not firing when sending a meeting invite from a shared calendar.
Adam Osborne

We have an addin that prompts a user for additional information when they send an email or calendar invite. This works well with a user's primary outlook account. With a shard calendar however, the itemsend event does not appear to fire. Is this expected behaviour and if so is there any workaround ?

I've send code to support@add-in-express.com if you'd like to review what's been done.

Cheers
Posted 11 Jan, 2023 15:59:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Adam,

Sorry for the deleay; that?Â?Ð?és my fault: I was googling for an answer and after several futile attempts put this on hold looking for a better idea, which never happened.

I don't know whether this is expected or not. It is *sort of* expected because a shared calendar breaks the normal Outlook folder structure. Say, it should have no parent. It might also have no StoreId; can't remember whether this is so or not.

Our guys have suggested that there are some restrictions on ItemSend. It's this idea that I was googling. Without success.

Depending on what you need to achieve, you can detect this scenario on an earlier stage. Say, to find out whether a new meeting request is being created in that calendar, you can intercept the corresponding Ribbon command; see section How to find the Id of a built-in Ribbon control in the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Regards from Poland (GMT+1),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Jan, 2023 06:43:20 Top
Adam Osborne

I wanted to provide an update on the problem:

1. Addin works correctly on Outlook 2016 version 2002 and earlier versions, itemSend fires on shared calendar appointments

2. Addin does not work correctly on Outlook for Microsoft 365 version 2212, itemSend does not fire on shared calendar appointments.

This appears to be an Outlook bug.

Possible workaround. Moving send capture from ItemSend to ProcessSend appears to work. I?Â?Ð?ém not sure if there are any other side effects at this time.
Posted 13 Jan, 2023 15:21:23 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Adam,

Adam Osborne writes:
Possible workaround. Moving send capture from ItemSend to ProcessSend appears to work. I?Â?Ð?ém not sure if there are any other side effects at this time.

As far as I know there's a possibility for the user to cancel the send *after* the Send event. Check if spell check occurs after the Send event. I suppose this also applies to all other dialogs you can receive while sending a meeting request. After the meeting request passes the ItemSend phase (which is missing in your case), you get it added to your calendar. If you edit an existing meeting, you should get the Change event on the Items collection of the calendar folder; see OutlookItemsEventsClass1.cs in a sample add-in in https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2020/07/01/sample-com-addin-projects-outlook-excel-powerpoint-word/; find the description of that add-in in Your first Microsoft Outlook COM add-in; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Regards from Poland (GMT+1),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 Jan, 2023 07:13:23 Top