Errors trying to register addin through IDE

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Errors trying to register addin through IDE

Pino Carafa

I am getting some strange error messages when right clicking on our addin project and trying to register it with the Add-in Express - Register option from the Context Menu in the Visual Studio IDE:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error The assembly "<location here>\bin\Debug\<name of addin>.dll" could not be converted to a type library. Type library exporter encountered an error while processing '<name of addin>.AddinModule, <name of addin>'. Error: Error loading type library/DLL.

and

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error The assembly 'AddinExpress.MSO.2005, Version=10.0.4700.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4416dd98f0861965' is not registered for COM Interop. Please register it with regasm.exe /tlb.

This only started happening late last week. I can still register the add-in normally after building the application so I am not completely stuck, but it's a bit of an annoyance so if there is anything I can do to go back to normal...
Posted 19 Apr, 2022 04:35:08 Top
Pino Carafa

It's very strange.... when I build the software and I drop adxregistrator.exe into the output folder and I run AdxRegistrator.exe /install... manually it registers fine. But the right-click option in the IDE is not working :(
Posted 19 Apr, 2022 04:52:08 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Pino,

It looks like you have a setup project that deploys *and register* AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL *for COM interop*. You've run an installer created by that setup project and installed the add-in. After you unsinstalled it, the installer deleted the information that was stored in the registry for AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL. Now, you need to reinstall Add-in Express.

Regards from Poland (CEST),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 19 Apr, 2022 10:24:06 Top
Pino Carafa

As always you hit the nail on the head, Andrei! That is exactly what I had done. I recently changed from using a VDPROJ for our installer to a WIXPROJ and I was testing it on my own machine.

I hadn't explicitly told the WIXPROJ to register that DLL for COM interop and I am guessing that it should not be registered?
Posted 19 Apr, 2022 11:14:11 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Pino,

The installer shouldn't register it. You can let Add-in Express create a setup project for you and check how this DLL is treated.

Regards from Poland (CEST),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Apr, 2022 03:52:06 Top