Problem installing on Windows 11

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Problem installing on Windows 11

Tim Farrelly

Hi There,

I have a new laptop with Windows 11 on that we attempted to install Add-In Express for MS Office and .Net v9.4.4.4644 on. We have VS 2019 installed. The install said it was successful but the Visual Studio -> Help -> About does not show Add-in Express as being installed and when we attempt to register our express add-in project, the Add-In Express menu does not appear.

We have tried this several times and ways now, ensuring the following advice is followed:
- Close all Visual Studio instances and make sure there's no devenv.exe processes hanging in the Processes tab of the Task Manager window before you start the installer.
- Make sure you are an administrator on the PC.
- Set UAC to its default level.
- In Control Panel | System | Advanced | Performance | Settings | Data Execution Prevention, set the "... for essential Windows programs and services only" flag.
- Remove the following registry key, if it exists:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Add-in Express\{product identifier} {version} {package}
- Run setup.exe, not .MSI. If this is applicable, run setup.exe by right clicking it and choosing ?Â?Ð?ìRun as administrator?Â?Ð?í in the context menu.
- Finally, use the Automatic Activation option in the installer windows.

Additionally we have
- followed the advice in the thread https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?PAGEN_1=1&FID=5&TID=16286#nav_start
- cleaned out the registry for anything with "add-in express" "add-in-express" "adx"
- repaired VS and retried
- tried installing the latest version 10.1.4703 - same issue

I notice on some but not all occasions the install can take a couple of minutes to get through the install step "Registering Add-In Express...". Never an error message though.

After spending a few hours yesterday and again today, we're at a loss what to try next. On one occasion we generated a log by running msiexec directly which can be accessed at the link below. There are numerous error situations in it but none that stimulated another idea to try.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15vW7S6xe1U5hwfQ4V9X1ZKejOPZT2eOH/view?usp=sharing

Not sure if we will reach a limit on activations but so far so good.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks
Tim
Posted 27 Mar, 2022 23:26:26 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tim,

Would the Add-in Express context menu appear if you create a new add-in project? If yes, make sure that your real project contains a folder called Loader and that folder contains these files: adxloader.dll, adxloader64.dll, adxloader.dll.manifest.

I've reset the activation counter for that key.

Regards from Poland (CET),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 28 Mar, 2022 04:30:10 Top
Tim Farrelly

Hi Andrei,

We can create a new add-in project but there is no context menu to register/unregister it.

BTW our real project contains a Loader folder with the 3 files in it.

Cheers re activation counter!

Regards
Tim
Posted 28 Mar, 2022 19:00:26 Top
Tim Farrelly

Any further ideas on this one?
Thanks
Tim
Posted 29 Mar, 2022 18:28:29 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tim,

Do you have other Visual Studio versions installed? Or other instances of VS 2019? Anyway, it looks like you need to reinstall 2019: installing Add-in Express should add it to the list in menu Help | About.

Does this occur on a single PC?

Regards from Poland (CET),

Andrei Smolin
Posted 30 Mar, 2022 02:56:34 Top
Kit Kennedy

I am having the same problem as above. I just got a new PC with Windows 11, installed VS 2017 and installed the latest version of the Add-in Express and was not able to create a new ADX project and it does not appear in the Help | About.
Posted 19 Apr, 2022 11:54:55 Top
Tim Farrelly

We only just got this working yesterday because of priorities, but we don't have a clear solution.

We had no other VS versions installed. We tried reinstalling VS2019 bu no joy. We had both VS Tools for 2017 and MS VS Tools for Office Runtime installed. We removed these and ran a registry cleaner and this got us going.

Tim
Posted 19 Apr, 2022 18:32:28 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tim,

I would like to access your PC remotely. Is this possible to do within the next two hours? If yes, I suggest using TeamViewer; in this case you'll need to send me your session ID and password. If not, let's try to do this tomorrow: I'll write to you when I start my day.

Regards from Poland (CEST),

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 Apr, 2022 09:24:52 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Oh, i should have written: "send me your session ID and password to the support email address; see readme.txt"

Regards from Poland (CEST),

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 Apr, 2022 09:29:14 Top
Tim Farrelly

Hi Andrei,

Did you still want to connect even though we have it working now? As I said it was something to do with uninstalling the two VS Tools and the registry clean that got it going.

Tim
Posted 20 Apr, 2022 18:16:59 Top