adxpublisher.exe doesn't support CNG certificates?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

adxpublisher.exe doesn't support CNG certificates?
Using adxpublisher give me "Publisher failed. Invalid provider type specified." 
jaklug

It seems that my code signing certificate isn't supported by Add-in Express for Office and .NET. When I run adxpubliher with it, I get this output:

Publisher: Preparing files...
Done.
Publisher: Checking the certificate...

Publisher failed. Invalid provider type specified.

Publisher error (stack trace): at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils.CreateProvHandle(CspParameters parameters, Boolean randomKeyContainer)
at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils.GetKeyPairHelper(CspAlgorithmType keyType, CspParameters parameters, Boolean randomKeyContainer, Int32 dwKeySize, SafeProvHandle& safeProvHandle, SafeKeyHandle& safeKeyHandle)
at System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider.GetKeyPair()
at System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider..ctor(Int32 dwKeySize, CspParameters parameters, Boolean useDefaultKeySize)
at System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Certificate2.get_PrivateKey()
at AddinExpress.Projects.Common.Certificate.HasPrivateKey(X509Certificate2 cert)
at AddinExpress.Deployment.ClickTwicePublisher.ValidateCertificate(X509Certificate2 cert, String hashOrPath)
at AddinExpress.Deployment.ClickTwicePublisher.Run()
at AddinExpress.Deployment.Program.Main(String[] args)

When I try using the VS plugin to set the signing options, when I select my certificate from the store I get a dialog saying "Add-in Express Visual Studio Package encountered an exception. You can get morwe information by examining the add-in-express-package-log.txt log file."

The contents of the log file are:

<LogEntry Date="2022-03-11 11:48:10" Severity="Exception" Source="AddinExpress.Projects.Common.SignForm.LoadCertificateFromStore" ProcessId="28968">
<Exception Type="System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException" Source="AddinExpress.Projects.Common.SignForm.ValidateCertificate">
<Message>Only certificates using CSP Storage Provider are supported. </Message>
<StackTrace> at AddinExpress.Projects.Common.SignForm.ValidateCertificate(X509Certificate2 cert, String hashOrPath)
at AddinExpress.Projects.Common.SignForm.LoadCertificateFromStore(String hash)</StackTrace>
</Exception>
</LogEntry>

Why don't you support CNG certificates? This particular certificate is only about a year old. It should work with any current signing application.

Thanks,

Joe
Posted 11 Mar, 2022 14:59:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Joe,

Yes, these certificates aren't supported. A workaround that only applies to ClickTwice-based deployment is given at https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=16307&MID=84617#message84617.

Also, at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51739470/invalid-provider-type-specified-error-in-code-signing-the-vsto-outlook-applicati, someone provides an instruction that may or may not be useful/applicable to you. We don't have such a certificate and we can't check the instruction. Also, my understanding of certificates is far from ideal so I can't even check if the instruction looks like a correct one.

Regards from Poland (CET),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 14 Mar, 2022 08:06:35 Top
jaklug

Thanks for the response. However, in the workaround, I still need to supply a certificate in this step:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Add-in Express\Add-in Express for .NET\Bin\adxpublisher.exe" /OutputType=ClickTwice /WorkingDirectory="D:\Temp\MyAddin89\MyAddin89\Configs\ClickTwice\1033\1.0.0" /ConfigFile="adxpublisher.exe.config"

Can I execute adxpublisher.exe without setting a certificate in the config file? And if I still need a certificate, how does the workaround help?

Joe
Posted 15 Mar, 2022 15:19:09 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Joe,

Andrei Smolin writes:
I still need to supply a certificate in this step

Use a test certificate; Add-in Express allows you to create a new certificate. The subsequent steps overtrite the test certificate on binaries.

Regards from Poland (CET),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 21 Mar, 2022 09:39:34 Top