Failing to Install Excel Addin

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Failing to Install Excel Addin

Sam Smith

Hi,

I have an Excel add-in which is distributed in a MSI and at the end of the installation I call:
adxregistrator.exe /install="PostTrans.dll" /privileges=user

This has worked for over 200+ installs and creates a "My Docs\Addin Express" folder with a log created by adxregistrator.

BUT I had a customer a few weeks ago, and now another who has the same problem on 4 machines, where adxregistrator.exe run without any reports of an error, but fails to install Excel adding.

Tried running from command prompt, and adxregistrator.exe /install="PostTrans.dll" /privileges=Admin

No error reported, no logs, nothing installed. Any ideas?

Windows 10
One drive enabled
adxregistrator is V9.4.4644 (I know an old version - I user it on 5 different VM's to create different versions for a specific reason, so I kept using this version so they were all the same.)
adxloader is V9.4.4644
Posted 18 Feb, 2022 06:17:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Sam,

Is the Excel add-in an XLL?

Also, I suggest that you check the registry entries the installer creates for your Excel add-in and compare them with those on an affected machine.

Do they have several Excel versions? What exactly versions are installed?

And provide adxloader.log from an affected and non-affected machines.

Regards from Poland (CET),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 18 Feb, 2022 07:39:06 Top
Sam Smith

No it's not a XLL. Its a DLL

On the previous machine, it was the latest version of Excel and it was a fresh install.

The point is it creates no log file, no error, so hard to understand what is going on.
Posted 18 Feb, 2022 08:55:37 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Sam,

Add-in Express supports two types of Excel add-ins: XLL add-ins and Excel Automation add-ins. Both types produce a DLL file. So, do you create an XLL add-in or an Excel Automation add-in?

By default an add-in project creates an adxloader.log as described in the Add-in Express manual; see section 'Get details about add-in loading' in the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

Also by default, a setup project created by Add-in Express generates adxregistrator.log when your installer registers the add-in; see section 'Get details about add-in registration/unregistration' in the manual.

Also, please provide answers to remaining questions in my previous post.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Feb, 2022 09:59:54 Top
Sam Smith

Answers:
It's a Excel Automation add-in NOT a XLL
All latest Office 365
Works fine for 99.8% of customers
Installs on my test Windows 10 VM
Current version of my install was released 3 months ago and has therefore been tested by various customers
Hard to check register entries, as I would have to get access to PC's again, not sure which ones to check

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure you fully understood my question.

Yes I know by default adxregistrator creates the log, on over 200 + installs I have it has done. BUT on three separate sites, many PC's on site, it has failed to install into Excel OR create logs. Mostly NEW machines, were Windows 10 machines this week. Hence I ask if you have come across this before. I have no diagnostics because it failed to create the logs. And no error displayed if I run from the command prompt:

adxregistrator.exe /install="PostTrans.dll" /privileges=user

So complete in the dark to why it fails... And losing customers

BUT ONE THEORY is that perhaps despite the install not being elevated it has been installed under a different user, hence the logs are not in My Documents. But I cannot find anything under any other users name.

ANOTHER THOUGHT: I know in the instance it failed this week the user has onedrive as the My Documents folder. Perhaps this is stopping the logs from being created.

I did read the documentation on how to force the log folder but could not understand quite what to put to override it whilst on the phone with the customer. I also read about overriding the .NET version which is 4.5.1

Perhaps .NET 4.5.1 is not on these machines. But from what I understand its been included in windows since V8.1 and Server 2012 R2

The full install is at:
https://www.posttrans.co.uk/Sage-Line-50/Download

Just noticed on my Test VM. No log files were created even though it installed OK, yet I know it has created them in the past.

Just had a look at adxloader.dll.manifest and it has generateLogFile="true", but does not create them

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<assemblyIdentity name="PostTrans, PublicKeyToken=dfa865b8346b3055" imageRuntimeVersion="v4.0.30319" />
<loaderSettings generateLogFile="true" shadowCopyEnabled="false" privileges="user" configFileName="PostTrans.dll.config" />
</configuration>

From <https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?a&a=&FID=5&TID=16318&MID=84669&SHOWALL_1=0#postform>;
Posted 20 Feb, 2022 16:30:46 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Sam,

I don't think OneDrive relates to this.

I can't install your add-in as it requires Sage Line 50 and I don't have it.

By default, the logs are located in %Temp%\{add-in name}\. Reinstall the add-in and send us the logs from an affected machine BEFORE you do anything else: running adxregistrator will rewrite the corresponding log. If the logs don't contain errors, you would need to check the registry entries on an affected machine and compare them with registry entries on your machine.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 21 Feb, 2022 05:54:22 Top
Sam Smith

AS I HAVE SAID I have NO logs so I cannot send them or analyse them... Thats what I'm saying/asking have you seen this before or any ideas why.

The install should install without Sage 50, but will give you an error after installation if you try to import something.

You say "check the registry entries on an affected machine" but what reg entries?

I have several versions of the same thing, with different installs and code, for several different accounts packages. I know they log and cannot see any differance.
Posted 21 Feb, 2022 06:57:48 Top
Sam Smith

The customer has confirmed .NET 4.8 is loaded and no other copies of Excel are installed. As I said also 4 machines were brand new installations.
Posted 21 Feb, 2022 06:58:51 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Sam Smith writes:
AS I HAVE SAID I have NO logs so I cannot send them or analyse them...

Please confirm that you've checked the %Temp%\{add-in name}\ folder, not My Documents.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 21 Feb, 2022 07:09:06 Top
Sam Smith

Sorry... Arrr you are right the logs are in %Temp%\{add-in name}. I think your documentation says:

When doing all the things above, adxregistrator.exe writes them into a log file, its default location is {user
profile}\Documents\Add-in Express\adxregistrator.log

No wonder I cannot find it. Odd thing is the other installs I have use the My Documents folder

NO I may be able to work out what is wrong

thanks
Posted 21 Feb, 2022 07:09:37 Top