Outlook Addin - Automatic Updates with ClickTwice

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook Addin - Automatic Updates with ClickTwice
Error: Another version of this product is already installed... 
David Wisniewski

OK, so I have followed the tutorials and am trying to replicate what you've done here in your https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2017/11/10/updating-office-addins-automatically/. I have set the setting when publishing so that it uninstalls the previous version and I have the updater set to check for updates when the application closes. The initial publish downloads fine and installs version 1.0.0

Then I change the version of the setup program to 1.0.1, when the popup about changing the product code appears I click "No" don't change the product code. I rebuild the solution and publish it.\

The next time I open and then close outlook, the updater is properly seeing that an update is available and downloading everything from the publish location, but then when it tries to uninstall the previous version of the macro I get this error:
Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

I cannot figure out how to stop this error and allow the previous version to properly uninstall like it does in your blog post. What am I doing wrong or missing?
Posted 16 Dec, 2021 14:38:08 Top
David Wisniewski

I found the problem. When you increment the version number of the setup file, there will be a popup asking if you want to change the product code. Click YES instead of no (previous tutorials teach to click no). Then rebuild the solution. Then publish the new update. The client updates now with no errors.
Posted 16 Dec, 2021 17:42:06 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi David,

Thank you for keeping us informed. Yes, you are right, the product code shall be changed as well.
Posted 17 Dec, 2021 03:44:56 Top