Excel Addin - adxKeyboardShortcut

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Excel Addin - adxKeyboardShortcut
How to use shortcut keys not in predefined list 
David Wisniewski

I have an adxKeyboardShortcut in my Excel addin and I would like to use key combinations that are not in the predefined dropdown list. I'm assuming that there has to be a way to use something that is not in that list? For this specific example, I have a macro that I wrote in AutoHotKey so that when the user is in Excel and presses the Windows Key and F3 it changes the fill color of the selected cells to yellow. I want to port that into my Excel Macro, and the user wants to keep the same shortcut that they have been using for years and are accustomed to. This is just one specific example, but there are other macros similar to this that I also need to port into an Excel addin with Add-in Express.

Thank for your help.
Posted 10 Dec, 2021 19:05:52 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello David,

I think this cannot be done: at least it doesn't work for me. The Windows Logo key is either LWIN or RWIN. If I write LWIN+F3, the designer converts it to LWINF3. If I use AddimModule.designer.vb to write Me.AdxKeyboardShortcut1.ShortcutText = "CTRL+LWIN+F3", this doesn't work for me: Windows issues a sound signal meaning "Error".

Regards from Poland (CET),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Dec, 2021 07:20:14 Top
David Wisniewski

Can I make a donation to add-in express so that you can modify your source code to include the Windows key as an option for use as a modifier in keyboard shortcuts? I know it seems like just one key, but it really is that big of a difference when I'm rewriting macros that are part of processes that have been used by employees for a long time. I tried recommending a substitute and pushing for it, but I'm really getting a lot of pushback for not being able to move them over to my new addins because I cannot use the Windows Key. Let me know, thanks!
Posted 13 Dec, 2021 14:45:44 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello David,

Unfortunately, this isn't possible: that key seems to be a system one and it may not be accessible from an Office application. Anyway, this requires a research that we can not do right now. We've added this feature request to our wish list and if we find it possible to do, we will implement it as part of our development cycle. But at the moment we are very skeptical about this feature.

I'm sorry for bringing bad news.

Regards from Poland (CET),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 Dec, 2021 08:46:13 Top