Build Tools for Visual Studio 2022

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Build Tools for Visual Studio 2022
Install Add-In Express on a Build Server running Build Tools for Visual Studio 2022 
Gareth Thom

Hi,

We have created a build server with Build Tools for Visual Studio 2022 installed on it but we're unable to install Add-Express on it because it does not recognise this as a valid version of Visual Studio.

How do we go about installing Add-Express so we can build our addin projects?

Thanks,
Gareth
Posted 02 Dec, 2021 08:07:10 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Gareth,

We've published a new Add-in Express version that supports VS 2022; see https://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/adxnet.php.

Regards from Poland (CET),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 03 Dec, 2021 02:04:10 Top
Gareth Thom

Hi Andrei,

Yes - that's the version of Add-In Express we're using and it works fine with VS2022 on my development machine.

What it does not recognise is "Build Tools for Visual Studio 2022", which is a separate installation designed for build servers (i.e. it does not have the VS GUI). When installing Add-In Express and it prompts to select the versions of VS to install against, none of the tick boxes are enabled as it does not detect the Build Tools as a valid VS2022 installation.

So, can you please let me know how I go about manually installing Add-In Express on our build server?

Can you also please update your installer to check for the "Build Tools" variants in addition to full versions of Visual Studio? Alternatively, as the Build Tools does not actually need any of the context menus and other customisations that you are specifically adding into Visual Studio, if your installer does not detect any instances of Visual Studio, add an option to say something like "Continue anyway as this is a Build Server"?

Thanks,
Gareth
Posted 03 Dec, 2021 12:04:04 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Gareth,

We will add this feature to our plan. Currently, you can simply copy required Add-in Express files to your build server.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 07 Dec, 2021 04:54:23 Top
Gareth Thom

Hi Andrei,

Thanks - that would be very useful. Can you please confirm exactly which files I need to copy to my build server and if any of them need registered in any way?

Kind Regards,
Gareth
Posted 06 Jan, 2022 05:53:37 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Gareth,

Binary and redistributables. There's nothing to register.

Please let me know.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 06 Jan, 2022 11:01:59 Top